Eschalon for Mac Crashes

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
shami
Pledge

Eschalon for Mac Crashes

Post by shami »

I've been playing this game now for over 30 hours without a glitch on a MacBook Pro. Since yesterday for no apparent reason (haven't downloaded anything e.g. updates, firmware, other apps) it crashes on me without warning.
Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and/or if I whether I need to reinstall (will I lost save data).
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

How often do you reboot your system? Although Eschalon appears to be clean (i.e. no memory leaks) I still recommend a fresh reboot once in a while to keep everything stable.
shami
Pledge

Post by shami »

I rarely reboot the system until I encountered this issue. I've since rebooted it once. It seems to be running better now.
artfoundry
Initiate

Post by artfoundry »

I just had 3 crashes tonight. Until recently (last time I'd played before tonight was a couple weeks ago) I was playing under OS 10.4.11 - then I upgraded on Monday to 10.5.2, and I've of course restarted the computer recently (in fact, I just loaded a recent graphics update - either last night or this morning, can't remember - and had to restart after that). So I'm thinking the instability may be due to 10.5. Anyone else had similar problems?
:-Dave
artfoundry
Initiate

Post by artfoundry »

Ok weird - I played a number of hours today without a single crash. So I'm not sure what the deal is. One thing to note - all of last night's crashes were all in the same area - the area East of Blackwater. But then I played in that area today and didn't crash, so go figure.
:-Dave
Mani
Pledge

Re: Eschalon for Mac Crashes

Post by Mani »

Yes, I also experience similar crashes just east of Border Town when trying to re-enter the back entrance of the Dark Tower. I, too have recently passed the 30hrs played mark and had no crashes prior to that point and had peeked inside the tower before w/o issue. I'm using a 2GHz Intel Core Duo Macbook running 10.5.8. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. :-/
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I am on Mac 10.6.1 and have not noticed any problems since I upgraded that have not always been part of Book 1. I am using version 1.4 because I can't remember who I bought Eschalon from and therefore can't upgrade to 1.5.

I always have problems with the game slowing down (and often crashing) in the area two maps east of Blackwater. That map is the one containing the Burley Oak, and I have to save, move quickly and get lucky to avoid a crash.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Yesterday, I experienced a crash on the screen just east of Blackwater. I was moving east near the bottom of the map, just past the intersection where the road angles southwest to Loneloft. I'm running v1.5 on my Mac Pro with OSX 10.5.8. I didn't lose too much progress since I save pretty often. When I restarted the game and loaded my saved game, I skirted north around that area and didn't experience a crash. Haven't had a crash since.

In case it matters, I shutdown my computers every night to cut down on our electric bill. So my computer had not even been running a full day when the game crashed. Nor did I reboot after the crash - never even occurred to me. I just restarted the game and kept playing.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Unsure what these problems may be. We will be keeping our eyes out for any clue to the cause of these crashes. Book 1 was originally designed and compiled on 10.4, We've just upgraded to Snow Leopard here in the studio, so we'll be looking for any problems running the game on the newer OS.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.