Mac update

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
tamagosan
Pledge

Mac update

Post by tamagosan »

Is there ever going to be an update to the Mac version of Book 1 that addresses the bugs and slowdowns?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Unlikely.

What users should understand is that we (Basilisk Games) do not have any control over the low-level aspects of the game engine (meaning sound and video driver implementation). These are handled by the company who developed the compiler. If they release an update to improve compatibility or speed, then yes, we will recompile Book I and release a patch. There is no word from them on any updates in the works. They are very quick about addressing problems when problems are found, but 99.9% of Mac users are not experiencing issues.

The few people who have experienced an odd crash or two often find that rebooting their computer fixes them. Not applying OS updates, bad hard disk formatting or improper user rights usually account for the others crashes. Previous posts in the support forums offer some solutions if you need help with these.

There are some minor gameplay bugs remaining that are seen on all systems running version 1.04 of the game, but they are insignificant do not negatively impact the quality of the game. We have not made a decision yet on patching these remaining minor glitches due to the fact that the team is currently devoting 100% development time on Book II.

The slowdowns you mention are often attributed to people running on the very edge of the recommended specs. We are working hard to optimize Book II to run faster and use less resources, but these are major changes and can not be "patched into" to Book I's engine. However, we expect Book II to run faster while at a higher resolution due to these optimizations.