"mypic.png" - where do you put it?

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Soldier of God
Initiate

Post by Soldier of God »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:No...I will download the game from them and see what the problem is. Either way I will make sure you get a working version.
Great. :)

Let me know what happens.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I just downloaded it and took a look. Yep, it has something to do with Mac Game Store's DRM wrapper and the way they packaged the game's folders.

I tried inserting the "mypic.png" into the .app package at every folder level and it still didn't work. I have contacted Mac Game Store to ask them about this.

Sorry for the problems. I was not aware that they was using this kind of DRM. We will get it worked out.

A workaround for Book II will be to look for the mypic.png file in the user's saved game folder. Unfortunately, I cannot offer a patch for Book I because of the DRM wrapper used on the version you bought through Mac Game Store- I can't patch something that is encrypted. I don't have any control over the DRM they used on the version they sell.
recluse
Apprentice

Re: "mypic.png" - where do you put it?

Post by recluse »

I have the Macgamestore version too, and it would seem the packaging, as you call it, will prevent my attempts to change the sounds in the .wav files. I had read on the forum that somebody had done this for fun, and I had rather hoped to get rid of at least one noise that really bugs me. Is there a work-around for this issue? I mean, a way to access those sounds on Macgamestore's version? If not, would it be possible for me to somehow trade in (delete) my current version in exchange for a "real" version of the game?

I suppose that in the future, if I look for games at Macgamestore, I'll do just that: just look. Then I'll try to find where the game originates and buy it there. Seems to me that I had a problem once before with a game and I couldn't even find the folder where the file was supposed to be to fix the issue. I'd bet it was bought from this same site.

Is there something that we game buyers can do to get these guys from screwing up your "packaging"? I mean, in addition to not buying there any more, do you have contact info for somebody I can email with a complaint?
recluse
Apprentice

Re: "mypic.png" - where do you put it?

Post by recluse »

Never mind. I just went to their website and easily found the "Contact Us" link -- game 'em a piece of my mind.

Have you considered NOT selling through somebody who sells your product in an inferior packaging? Probably you can't afford to back out of a contract right now, but avoid it with your future games? It could mean fewer dissatisfied buyers and a better reputation for your product.

Do other game sites do these re-package of the games they offer? Could you get around it by offering only a box version, not digital download? Or do they actually put those box versions together in their own version too?

I'm totally ignorant of this stuff. This has been an educational foray for me here. I'm rethinking the way I buy software. Other educational tips for this rookie will be most welcome -- PM me if you don't think your comments appropriate to the site.

Thank-you.