Shadowmirk Bug

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Atticus
Pledge

Shadowmirk Bug

Post by Atticus »

Early on I stumbled into Shadowmirk, met the Big Eye, and beat a hasty retreat. Later on I went back, did battle with the Eye, and it retreated (so I thought) behind the righthand wall. I can see it floating around in the dark between the backdoor entrance and the back of the cavern, but couldn't get to him to continue the fight. I explored what I could, found I couldn't get through the locked gates, and went on to other things. Now I've found out that I have to defeat the Big Eye to get through the gates, but I can't get to him! He's there, still floating in the darkness, oblivious to my presence on the other side of the wall.

I assume this is a bug and I won't be able to bring him over to my side of the wall. It seems another option is to zap him with magic, but I keep getting the "object is obscure" message.

Any ideas?
Auron
Initiate

Re: Shadowmirk Bug

Post by Auron »

have not any saved game you can load and finish that flying eyeball (making sure she would not escape to that place she's in now =\ ) ??

If not, I cannot see any solution to this bug =\ sorry man
~ Only those who try will become ~
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Try throwing Demon Fire at it....hold shift down and target the squares near it that you can access. Use larger Demon Oils with bigger radius blasts. As long as fire can hit it, you can kill it.

Or try high-end magic that targets everything (supernova, mass boil). That should work.

Short of those ideas, you'll have to reset the map. Go to your saved game slot and delete the files associated with Shadowmirk level 1. There should be a .map file, an .opq file, and an .ent file. (sorry, I am using a computer that doesn't have the game installed so I can't check what the actual file names are, but they should be obvious).
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Atticus
Pledge

Post by Atticus »

Thanks! Demon oil didn't work because the game didn't recognize the floor grid on the other side of the wall. But deleting the files worked like a charm. After deleting the files, I re-entered Shadowmirk and met & defeated the Eye. I'm on my way. Many thanks!