Graphics Problem Book1 (Steam)

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
boru
Pledge

Re: Graphics Problem Book1 (Steam)

Post by boru »

First post on this forum. Sorry it's about a bug. I bought EB1&2 on Steam this weekend and occasionally when I launch the game I get a screen that looks like the one above. Quitting the game and relaunching usually works.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

boru wrote:First post on this forum. Sorry it's about a bug. I bought EB1&2 on Steam this weekend and occasionally when I launch the game I get a screen that looks like the one above. Quitting the game and relaunching usually works.
When you click About This Game, what version does it say?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
boru
Pledge

Post by boru »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
boru wrote:First post on this forum. Sorry it's about a bug. I bought EB1&2 on Steam this weekend and occasionally when I launch the game I get a screen that looks like the one above. Quitting the game and relaunching usually works.
When you click About This Game, what version does it say?
Well, I can't even find that, but at the bottom of the splash screen it says version 1.06
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

boru wrote:Well, I can't even find that, but at the bottom of the splash screen it says version 1.06
I believe that's the newest version. Hopefully BW will be along shortly with more helpful advice. The problem came about when Apple changed the way they handled certain graphics that the game uses. They just love breaking things for the little guys out here. :)
---

Chod
Initiate

Post by Chod »

I had this problem on my play through of book 1. To be honest though, all i did was completely exit the game and reload. If it happened again on reloading the game, it wouldn't on the second go.

Out of 25 odd hours of game play across, I'd say, 30 starts of the game... it would have happened 5 or so times.

I never had to restart my computer.

Have an 27" iMac 2011 w core i7 running lion.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

We are working on a Mac update with Steam now. This problem will probably be fixed. Just waiting on them at this point.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
springacres
Pledge

Post by springacres »

First post on this forum as well. I bought EB1 from Macgamestore.com some time ago and have had the same issue since shortly after I bought it. Running Mac OS 10.6.8 with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card. Redownloading and reinstalling does help briefly but not for long. I am running ver. 1.05 of Book I, enjoy the gameplay, but do not want to have to pay for it again if I don't have to. Really hoping this can get fixed soon.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

springacres wrote:I am running ver. 1.05 of Book I, enjoy the gameplay...
The current version should be 1.06. Have you requested an updated version from MacGameStore?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
springacres
Pledge

Post by springacres »

Admittedly I didn't think to do that, but there have been no updates recently and I just re-downloaded & reinstalled it (again) earlier this week. The version it gave me was the version I posted yesterday, 1.05.
springacres
Pledge

Post by springacres »

Finally submitted a support ticket to Macgamestore, hoping they manage to fix it. However I have learned my lesson and will be buying future installments of the series direct from Basilisk.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
springacres wrote:I am running ver. 1.05 of Book I, enjoy the gameplay...
The current version should be 1.06. Have you requested an updated version from MacGameStore?
I just want to point out that this particular graphics 'glitch' seems to be getting reported by more of us as time goes on. On my end, I am using v1.06, and am only using MacOS 10.6.8, and I was still seeing this issue on a few occasions in my Book I playthrough a few weeks ago.

I'm wondering if this is another MacOS/game app issue/conflict, and maybe a minor "v1.07" 'maintenance' release using the newest compilers for the MacOS is needed for Book I...

FWIW.
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Post by lilwoofer »

Yep, same problem here. Seems to happen EVERY time I have saved more than 3 games. I deleted some old games that I "finished" - whoever is truly finished with characters so cool? - And happens as I delve deeper into the game with more info to save. And i finally learned where the saved games are actually saved on the Mac - damn, i miss OS 9 and b4 when one could truly make a Mac more personal than a PC - so, now instead of deleting hard earned games, i now know how to copy and delete... Hopefully this will help others in the future???
luther
Initiate

Post by luther »

I get this problem on the standard Mac download version also, so it's not just Steam. As others have said, sometimes quitting and re-launching the game fixes it, sometimes restarting the system. Very 'hit and miss'...
clatoo
Pledge

Post by clatoo »

Hello,

I havn't given up on you guys...

I have this very same problem on the Steam version.

My guess is that it affects saved games.

Any update ?

'cause I don't see the point in going through book 2 and 3 if I can't complete book 1...

Using a Mac, different from the one I saved my game with, so, new install everything, yada yada...

Drunk regards,

Clatoo

Edit : Drunk typos
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

clatoo wrote:Hello,

I havn't given up on you guys...

I have this very same problem on the Steam version.

My guess is that it affects saved games.

Any update ?

'cause I don't see the point in going through book 2 and 3 if I can't complete book 1...

Using a Mac, different from the one I saved my game with, so, new install everything, yada yada...

Drunk regards,

Clatoo

Edit : Drunk typos
I don't know that more work will be done on this until after Book III is out, but really you don't need to complete Book I to enjoy Book II. The engine was massively updated and the flaky stuff from Book I doesn't happen in Book II.
---