Display problems used demo saves in full game

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
randy
Pledge

Display problems used demo saves in full game

Post by randy »

I just upgraded from the demo to the full game, and now when I restore my saved games, there's funny polygon problems on the screen; scattered all over the screen are oddly shaped blobs of white. I'm nervous about playing the game like this--can you give any assistance in being able to use my old saved games with the full version? Thanks much in advance.

-- Randy
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Display problems used demo saves in full game

Post by IJBall »

randy wrote:I just upgraded from the demo to the full game, and now when I restore my saved games, there's funny polygon problems on the screen; scattered all over the screen are oddly shaped blobs of white. I'm nervous about playing the game like this--can you give any assistance in being able to use my old saved games with the full version? Thanks much in advance.
Check out this thread. (Is your version from Steam too, by any chance?...)

Anyway, my first advice is to restart your computer. If that doesn't work, try this...
randy
Pledge

Post by randy »

Well, playing in window mode does the job, at least for the moment. The thread you pointed to has me worried the problem will come back, though :-J.

Thanks for the suggestions!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Funny story!

So I just upgraded to v1.06 of Book I (from v1.04, I believe...), after having not played Book I in well over a year (actually, it was almost 2 years!), and I quickly discovered that I had the Glitchy graphics problem under v1.04 and Mac OS 10.6.8. :?

And, sure enough, the graphics problem reported here (and elsewhere) cropped up when I first used v1.06. :shock:

Restarting the game app did not fix the problem. :|
(I didn't try restarting the whole system to see if that would work...)

However, I'm happy to report that the solution reported in this post did indeed work - so if you see this, just try toggling the "Color Depth" and the "Screen Preference" on Book I's intro Launch Menu to see if it clears up the problem... :D
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

To follow up, I am definitely seeing this issue much more in v1.06 than I ever did before.

So far, I haven't tracked down a "unified cause" for this "white patches" glitch yet, though one of my current theories is that it may be some kind of 'apps conflict' (e.g. I think I've seen the 'white patches' crop up with I have either iPhoto or Graphic Converter open as well, though I have still gotten the 'white patches' glitch at least one or two other times when neither of those apps was open...).

And, sometimes, I've found that the "toggling the game settings" on the Start Screen doesn't "fix" this problem (though, in those cases, I think opening up other old characters saved to different locations in the game world will sometimes "fix" the 'white patches' issue...).

Bottom line: This glitch is more of a problem in v1.06, but I still haven't tracked down a "cause" yet.

I'll keep working on it...
jwdenzel
Pledge

Post by jwdenzel »

I also see this "white polygon glitch" in version 1.06 on the Mac. (OS 10.7 Lion)

Sometimes I can clear it, but I see no pattern as to how to resolve it.