Attacking Siam crashes the game!

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Snonskoid
Apprentice

Attacking Siam crashes the game!

Post by Snonskoid »

I find that Siam in Blackwater's first magic attack causes my Eschalon 1 to "quit unexpectedly" every time, whether playing full- screen or windowed.
Interesting?
(MacOs 10.5.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2...)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Attacking Siam crashes the game!

Post by Vroqren »

While unfortunately, I do not know how to solve your problem, I do believe the speel he attacks with is Supernova. Hopefully that helps someone discover the source of the bug.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Snonskoid wrote:I find that Siam in Blackwater's first magic attack causes my Eschalon 1 to "quit unexpectedly" every time, whether playing full- screen or windowed.
Interesting?
(MacOs 10.5.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2...)
Check your game version? Did you get the game from the Basilisk Games store or a different vendor? The game crashing when Siam attacks was a bug in an earlier version of the game but was fixed, I think, in 1.04. The correct current version is 1.06 (though Steam may still say 1.05 on its versions, at least someone reported that).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I've attacked Siam a handful of times a few minutes ago and his attack causes the game to crash with the error message "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION". Playing with Windows Vista, version 1.06 of Book I bought from Basilisk Games.
Huh. I guess it came back. Damn. That's annoying. Hopefully BW knows what causes it so he can patch it quickly. I know none of us want to divert him from Book III development.
---

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Solution: Don't kill Siam.
That way the game doesn't crash, and BW continues work on Book III

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Vroqren wrote:Solution: Don't kill Siam.
If you can kill Siam very quickly, or otherwise ensure that he doesn't get to cast on you, it's fine. The problem, I'm sure, comes from picking up loose objects in his sight line or otherwise enraging the citizenry of Blackwater.
---

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

It's possible that I still have my Mac copy, but I certainly don't have access to it right now. If anyone else has it on Mac, it could be good to know if this bug is also occurring on Mac (Or any other operating system).

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

The entire area of Blackwater seems to be cursed with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. Entering the map from the east can randomly cause this to happen, so save before venturing forth.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The problem, I'm sure, comes from picking up loose objects in his sight line or otherwise enraging the citizenry of Blackwater.
This doesn't appear to be the case. Using the map editor created by community member xolotl I placed Siam somewhere different but got the same error. I then removed all objects around the area and the same error happened.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1651/siamerror.png

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/36/s ... rempty.png
I wasn't clear. I'm sorry. The problem of Siam deciding you need to be attacked is not just caused by you attacking him. I'm sure the error occurs any time he tries to cast his spell, whatever the circumstances.
---

Spencerbutch
Initiate

Post by Spencerbutch »

if needed, i have book 1 for mac but as i havent even broken it out yet it might take a bit for me to get to the point where this bug is appearing. i guess i better get started on book 1 now :mrgreen:
vroqren wrote:Solution: Don't kill Siam.
that made me laugh out loud, and not much does that past midnight :lol:
-+=+_+=+-
To the TL;DR crowd: Why are you on a forum if you are averse to reading? tsk tsk.

Support local music:
http://www.facebook.com/FraudulenceTheBand
http://www.facebook.com/SemiInternationalRecords

My actual join date was April 01, 2013.

Thoughts?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Confirmed on 1.06 and 1.05 Linux as well, where it crashes with a segmentation fault. There aren't any debugging symbols in the binary, so running it through a debugger doesn't produce useful information. Strace doesn't reveal much either, except that the crash happens before the game tries to load Siam's attack sound, sfx_cast_elem.

Also of note, none of the other casters seem to have this issue. I checked Erubor, Walter, and the Shadowmirk apprentices.

My next guess is the attack animation. I gave Siam the same appearance as Erubor, though, and he still crashes the game. Maybe it's the spell animation? Erubor and Walter have different spell attacks, but I can't see how that's defined in the entities CSV file, so I can't change it for Siam to test. In Book II, I think it's the "Sp Ability" column, but there doesn't seem to be a similar one in Book I.