Got a question

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

Siemova wrote:Actually, as I understand it, spiders don't usually index pages with ? in the URL. So that's not likely to work.

I think I'd agree with trying to work out a cross-advertising deal with Spiderweb. Something like, "Finished with Book I? Can't wait for Book II? Try Avernum 5 to tide you over!" and vice versa. I know there's a bit of de facto competition there, but not so much that it wouldn't be beneficial to team up rather than try to shoot each other down or simply ignore each other.
Yes, and there are ways around that. Likely it's not all that important, and like you said a mutual advertising deal would be better.
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
Paulyboy
Pledge

Post by Paulyboy »

Inside Mqc Games has been giving updates on Mac Eschalon so that should help some. Maybe send them a review copy as well?

Looking forward to Mac Eschalon Book 1!

-PN
rotlex
Pledge

Post by rotlex »

No idea on the percentage either, but I'd guess it's pretty high. I've been a Mac and Windows user for a very long time, and I game on both. Actually, I do most of my gaming nowadays on a 360 and a Wii. but LOVE finding gems like Eschalon that are playable on the Mac. I'm waiting with GREAT anticipation for the release on OS X.

In the meantime, I'll keep saving the Universe in Mass Effect. (Loving this game the further I get into it).
Steve
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

txa1265 wrote:These guys are BOTH serving an under-served community of hardcore RPG gamers looking for excellent experiences heavy on gameplay ... and both are delivering excellent results. The games are cheap - heck, you can buy *both* Av5 and EschBk1 for less than a single 'next gen' console game.

This seems like it should be an opportunity to team up to widen the audience rather than fight over it! Especially with the numbers the 'classic console' games for the Wii, PSN, XBLA and GameTap are doing ... the focus on gameplay is there, just looking to be exploited!
Oh, I completely agree. I was only saying that, whether the developers like it or not, their products are, to some degree, competing in the marketplace. Even if the genre is underrepresented, people will generally take a look at what's available and make a choice. But if Basilisk and other such companies can team up and make it more of a, "Hey, we have all these games here to satisfy your old-school cravings! Check 'em out!" thing, methinks that'll minimize the perceived competition and foster a more mutually advantageous atmosphere. 8)
"What you embrace is what you become."
txa1265
Apprentice

Post by txa1265 »

Question - is there truth to the rumor of 'post deletion' at Spiderweb regarding Eschalon?
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I browse the forums there pretty frequently and I've never seen an Eschalon post pop up (nor have I started one). I can't confirm or deny such an event. I also can't imagine if a topic was made in the General forum that they would delete the topic. At worst if topics are deemed inappropriate they just lock them.

I guess the test is to start an Eschalon thread and see what happens.

I only see the two companies and beneficial to each other. Both are seemingly making excellent games, with a number of different mechanics unique to each developer. The market is not saturated, it's voraciously hungry for new quality RPGs. If anything another developer in the "retro RPG" genre helps solidify it as something consumers want and lend it a bit of credibility.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

well I posted a topic about it on the forum. Not just a advertisement type one. Lets see what happens
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Laudimir
Apprentice

Post by Laudimir »

The post is still there, and seems to be going strong. Several have posted their interest :)

I, myself, am eagerly anticipating the mac release, although I wonder if my old arsed imac will run it xD

**http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb ... 1;t=004609
dbyte
Pledge

Post by dbyte »

The only reason I keep a Windows PC at home is to play RPG's. If there was a good supply of RPG's for my Mac, my PC would be history :)

Looking forward to Book II!