Players Manual text problem

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Players Manual text problem

Post by Randomizer »

Is it just me or is the Mac demo version of the Eschalon Player's manual almost all unreadable characters? Except for the cover and the map there aren't enough readable parts to use it. Most are just rectangular boxes.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Are you using Adobe Reader or Preview, and if so what version? The manual should just be a PDF, at anyrate it looked fine to me and I printed it off for easy access.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It the Adobe reader that came with the iBook and it's about 2 years old for the version. This is the first time I've ever had a problem reading a pdf file.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Try getting the latest version of Reader, it's possible the pdf isn't compatible with the old version. The PDF format is getting pretty wonky these days, gone are the good ol days of PDF, guaranteed you can view it guaranteed you can print it. Now they want to put friggin ADs in them even!

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It was Preview 2.1.1 from 2004 (obsolete for software). I'm downloading the latest version of Reader for my operating system.

"Five years is a lifetime for computers" - Bionic Woman
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

There is no way to update Preview to view the manual properly if you are still using OS X 10.3.9. like I am. Luckily the version of Adobe Reader that works on OS X 10.3.9 will read the manual correctly.

I wish more care had been taken when making the manual pdf file to assure that all the people who are able to run the game can also read the manual! What is it anyway that makes the letters get changed into boxes? Is it because the pdf was done in Windows or was there a special feature that can only be accessed with later versions of pdf readers? If so, I don't see what it was or why it was necessary.

Jude
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Now that I can read it with Acrobat Reader, it appears to be that Preview is failing to convert some of the graphic type text. It probably is a font problem.