System requirements

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Jude
Council Member

System requirements

Post by Jude »

My Mac meets all the game requirements except for CPU speed, being a Power Mac G4 1.25 GHz DP running OS X 10.3.9 with a GeForce 4 Ti 128 MB graphics card. I tried out the demo and it seems to run fine. Is it because I haven't gotten to the part of the game that would require a greater CPU speed, or is perhaps my 128 MB graphics card compensating for it?

Why such high CPU requirements for an essentially turn-based game?

Jude

EDIT: BTW, thanks for the instructions on how to change the refresh rate in the help file! I am using a CRT monitor and the flickering of the 60 Hz setting was like trying to play with a strobe light on, and it could trigger migraines.

Jude
Laudimir
Apprentice

Post by Laudimir »

I am able to run the game, albeit a bit slowly (even more slowly depending on the size of the map and/or the number of NPCs around), on a G3 500 mhz processor with 196 MB ram. I assume it will become very slowm§ indeed when I hit larger towns than aridell. If plimus will allow me to, I will buy the game, even if it doesn't run well. I just have no phone lol.
Last edited by Laudimir on December 12th, 2007, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Jude: The system requirements were really just an estimate. If the demo runs fine for you (even in the first town to come to) then the entire game should run okay.

Laudimir: Plimus will allow you to purchase it, although sometimes they do try to confirm orders via phone. Some people have successfully bought the game by giving a fake telephone number!
Laudimir
Apprentice

Post by Laudimir »

@BW-Well, they have, apparently, charged my credit card, but have decided to 'verify' my phone number before going further, meaning the fake (phone number) wasn't good enough (or, more likely, I'm just unlucky) :P

When it came to phone verification, I gave them my phone number as "NO PHONE" LOL.

I'll try working things out over a pay phone, then go from there.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

I'll play the demo a bit more to be sure, then get it.

Laudimir, I rarely give out my phone #. But since the forms require a number, I just put in my area code and 9s for the rest.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Laudimir
Apprentice

Post by Laudimir »

Well, the problem was that I was picked for a phone call, lol.

I called from a payphone, greatly confused the CSR, but I'm a proud owner of EB1 for my troubles :P! I'll perhaps have more to say about the greatness of the game after I beat it ;)