Desktop piles icons after quitting game demo

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Jude
Council Member

Desktop piles icons after quitting game demo

Post by Jude »

When I quit the game demo, which is set at 800x600 resolution, my desktop of my Power Mac G4 is messed up--almost all the icons are moved around and most are piled in the upper right corner. I am running OS X 10.3.9 with the CRT monitor set to 1280x1024.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I've never seen this happen...does any other Mac expert have suggestions/tips for this?
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

From what I've been told about other apps that have done this in the past, it is usually because the game quits without resetting to the monitor's resolution first. Therefore all the icons overlap or pile up because there is less screen room for them (and the icons are larger in a lower resolution) before the monitor resets to the higher resolution.

Does that make any sense? The impression I got was that it was fixable by having the game reset the resolution a bit earlier while quitting...

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Yea its a resolution problem. Thing is I can't consistently get Eschalon to do it. In fact it's only done it twice to me. But pretty much when it gets back to the desktop and it's still 800x600 all the icons move to fit. I'm running 10.5.1. I've tried opening and quitting the game several times now. Like I said it's done it to me twice but not consistently (Some games consistently move all my icons when it drops back to the desktop or I Command+Tab, thats my bad in that case).
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

You know, now that you've mentioned Command+TAB, I bet it was my fault. I took a screenshot of my character build before I continued into the gameplay. Command+Shift+3 -- I bet that caused it. I'll let you know if it happens again.

Jude
Last edited by Jude on December 12th, 2007, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Bam, that seems to be it. I can recreate the problem when taking a screen shot. Taking the screenshot must force the desktop to rearrange to 800x600 when it writes the picture to the desktop. Not really a bug, just the desktop rearranging itself to 800x600. I guess if you want to take screenshots on the Mac this may happen to you.

I can verify that it doesn't happen every time I take a screenshot, but it only happens when I take screenshots. Mac OS must be rolling the dice to decide if it wants to rearrange. :wink: