recommend supporting mac-standard keyboard shortcuts

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
jinnes
Apprentice

recommend supporting mac-standard keyboard shortcuts

Post by jinnes »

I would suggest you add support for a few standard Macintosh keyboard shortcuts. These are so standard that even most games support them; they are practically a built-in feature of the Mac.

Command-S: Save -- i.e. bring up the Save dialog
Command-O: Open -- i.e. bring up the Restore dialog
Command-Q: Quit -- i.e. just Quit -- prompt for a save first. Kind of like if I chose Exit from the ESC menu, except you should quit the program not go to the main menu

Supporting those three shortcuts is really a must for a Mac app.

Thanks for building it for the Mac in the first place -- just trying to help you get in good with the natives. :)

-Jason
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I think it's been brought up (at least for Command Q), part of it may be a limitation of the cross platform development environment.

Command Qs the only one I really want, I just want to CMD-Q bam desktop. However this isn't the first game to not support CMD-Q (or the other normal shortcuts) so I don't give it too much flack, especially given the quality of the game.

I think if they can add the shortcuts they will(as far as I know the devs arn't super familiar with Macs yet so some of these shortcuts may have caught them by surprise, we Mac users have some sort of innate ability/need to navigate our computers solely by keystrokes).
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

Perhaps, in windowed mode, they could also add Command-M for minimize and Command-H for Hide. I haven't done any serious programming on a Mac, so I'm not positive, but I imagine this would be accomplished simply by adding the aforementioned options to the application menu.

But yes, those three suggestions would be excellent. Especially Command-Q.
"What you embrace is what you become."
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

A command-O for open save game menu, especially for opening the quicksave file. Command-S to go to save game menu

Since this game currently randomly changes the contents of an unopened container, I can spend several minutes retrying it to maximize the loot.
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

Yes, if there is a command key (f2) to save the quicksave, might as well have one to reload it as well!
macwhiz
Pledge

Post by macwhiz »

I'd love to see full-screen mode not lock out Command-Tab. It's annoying that I can't get out of the game while in full-screen mode.
JyriErik
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by JyriErik »

FWIW, pretty much every Mac game I've played locks out Command-Tab when in full-screen mode. However, many of those games allow you to switch from full-screen to windowed mode on the fly, usually using Command-M (Diablo II) or Command-F (Battle for Wesnoth), so something like that might be a solution.

Jyri
HerrSchnuff
Pledge

Post by HerrSchnuff »

Yeah, I really hope this will be implemented in the second book.