Just bought it :)

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Pit
Initiate

Just bought it :)

Post by Pit »

Hi!

Jumping (a bit) late on the wagon, but I only learned about the 2nd beta of the game from the post on linuxgames. For me, this and happypenguin are the only sources to learn about games, as I'm Linux-only (yes, I know, still not that common, but been like this for >>10 years...). Btw., I haven't seen a post on happypenguin so far - but you definitely should advertise it there (and you will for sure get a 5-star rating from me :D!)

OK, back to the game. I downloaded the demo, and got immediately cought by the games' atmosphere. And looking at the price tag it was an easy decision to buy the full version (which is something I do quite often, as long as it's a native Linux version, and the game is worth the money).

Right now I only have it running on my somewhat outdated laptop (1.5GHz Pentium M with integrated Intel graphics, but the main computer is stowed away as I'm relocating). So with a performance around 35 it's somewhat slowish - but it's running without any trouble so far (1 1/2 hours gameplay). So why this post, if I don't need support?
Well, just to say thanks for doing the linux port and (trying) to encourage you to continue doing so!
And now back to playing 8)

Pit
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

That is very similar to my Linux system...and yes, 35ish is really slow. When you can get it installed on a faster system, it will be much more enjoyable.

Thank you for your support!
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

Idk, on my 1.5ghz pentium m, ati radeon 7500, performance is ~10ish. Completely smooth.

I'm using the open-source drivers if that matters.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Rather peculiar here: I have two Gutsy installations on this machine; one runs the latest ATI 7.11 driver, one runs the older 8.37.6 driver that's in the repositories. The reason I do this is because compiling the kernel module seems to increase sound latency for the system, so the installation with the 8.37.6 driver maintains better latency - one of my favourite applications, pSX Emulator definitely runs better with good sound latency.

But I'm also getting the same results with Eschalon: Book I; with the 7.11 driver, performance is at ~9; with the older 8.37.6 driver installation, it's down to ~3.

My guess, particularly since some people seem to be having sound issues with the game, is that Eschalon: Book I is quite dependent on good sound latency, as long as the video driver is adequate.