CD release for linux?

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Eddward
Initiate

CD release for linux?

Post by Eddward »

Hi. Is there any chance there will be a CD release for Linux? The extras on the CD look nice (the map, the music, etc) and I'm not quite a fan of buying downloads. Just thought I'd ask.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

I already asked about the CD, Eddward - you can see BW's response a couple of posts down. :(

Maybe if enough people post here...?

Edit: It's not that I have a problem with downloads (nice fast connection); it's that I'd like the extras on the CD, and I'd really like to give the extra support to Basilisk, as well.

Or another thought - would it be possible to make some of the CD contents available to Linux purchasers as downloads, BW? I particularly fancy the high-res map... ;)
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

I've seen quite a bit of interest in the Linux cd on happypenguin and ubuntu forums, I'd say the 100 people range isn't too hard to achieve :/
Eddward
Initiate

Post by Eddward »

Well, to be fair, unless there have been updates from when I last checked, I think I'm the one from Happy Penguin.
Beren
Initiate

Post by Beren »

I've already bought the download, and I would be more than happy to buy a linux CD too. As said, the extras looks really nice, not to mention that the linux package is very high quality already. And it has exactly the kind of support I want ;)
kathodos
Pledge

Post by kathodos »

I just registered to show my support for a Linux CD release of Eschalon. While I have no qualms against purchasing the download, I'd much rather have something tangible as opposed to a file on my hard disk. Also, the extras included with the Windows CD are too good to pass up.
micks
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Game CD

Post by micks »

While I do not particularly long for the CD, I would like to support all my fellows gamers who do want one. That is to say, if there is a CD at some point, I'll buy a copy.
Having said that, if there is some definite number of sales that needs to be reached to make the CD release profitable, the two largest physical copy linux game vendors might be willing to buy some, namely TuxGames.com and Ixsoft.de (I'm pretty sure about Tux Games, actually).
Also worth trying might be CNR.com -- an online software reseller for some of the more popular Linux distributions. They tend to inflate the prices for the end users, but still manage to sell quite a few copies and games appear to be among their most popular items.
Eddward
Initiate

Post by Eddward »

Hi. Sorry if I'm posting something that is common knowledge. I don't read much of anything outside the Linux forum. Am I seeing right on the purchase page? I can buy the download plus a CD with the Linux version? (Well Linux and other two OSes?) I just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. ... Actually, I just read the bullet list on the bottom half of the page. I guess I have no reason not to buy it now. I admit I'm glad I held off on buying the download only but I'm more glad that it is available on media. I'm glad I went back to check the purchase page, I hadn't been looking there.

Thanks,
Edd
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yep! The Linux installation is included on that disc, so you get all three versions!