Fedora 8 sound fix

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
puff65537
Pledge

Fedora 8 sound fix

Post by puff65537 »

configure normal (not openAL) sound then start game with "padsp eschalon_book_1_demo" (for the demo version).
padsp is the sound wrapper that translates from OSS to PulseAudio. This should work with the new (8.x) ubuntu as well.
rasjani
Initiate

Post by rasjani »

Or better yet, remove pulse audio completely and use alsa and no workaround is required =)
puff65537
Pledge

Post by puff65537 »

Or just go back to a 2.4 based kernel, this new 2.6 stuff just ain't right. (hint, if both fedora and ubuntu are moving to something, it might not work well now, but it will eventually)
Vadi
Initiate

Post by Vadi »

Isn't pulse audio, like, the next sound thing?
rasjani
Initiate

Post by rasjani »

Yep, it is. Fedora is also the first distro that defaults to pulseaudio. And honestly, it sounds pretty nice but seems not to be so stable when it comes to supporting older backends (alsa/oss mainly) and pretty much no support yet in any apps.

Had a alot of problems since switching to fc8 with audio. albeit, i do have a slightly no orthodox setup (2 sounds cards) but after switching back to alsa, everything keeps on working..
puff65537
Pledge

Post by puff65537 »

2 sound cards usually confuses HAL/DBUS, not pulse audio. Iif you are running 64bit, not all the 32bit sound stuff is installed, and not all the pulse audio control software is installed in either 64 or 32bit. If you can convince HAL to detect both cards (and not continuously overwrite the config), install the missing PA pieces, then pulse audio can do some nice stuff, including creating a virtual card that outputs sound to all cards, and sends sound across the network.
rasjani
Initiate

Post by rasjani »

puff65537 wrote:2 sound cards usually confuses HAL/DBUS, not pulse audio. Iif you are running 64bit, not all the 32bit sound stuff is installed, and not all the pulse audio control software is installed in either 64 or 32bit. If you can convince HAL to detect both cards (and not continuously overwrite the config), install the missing PA pieces, then pulse audio can do some nice stuff, including creating a virtual card that outputs sound to all cards, and sends sound across the network.
True true, pa feature vice sounds like a good deal (pun!) but i don't have energy to fight audiosetups after every boot. Also, routing and creating virtual interfaces was already there - before pulseaudio - with JACK which most music apps i use tend to require. And no, i wasnt/arent running 64bit.

Pulse or polyp audio, promises a great deal of features but for now, it was just highly annoying experience. For simple desktop guy with simple needs it could allready be well worth it but it just broke my midi & audio outs stuff completely