Game won't start

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
AlexMontana
Initiate

Game won't start

Post by AlexMontana »

Hi!

I just installed the Linux-Version, but it won't start but gives me instead this error message:

bash: ./eschalon_book_1: No such file or directory

The game definitely IS there! So, what can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Alex
Sengir
Initiate

Post by Sengir »

Where did you install it? You have to start the game from the directory you installed it to, as it doesn't provide a symlink to /usr/bin or /usr/games/bin or something similar

If you can't remember where you installed it, use

Code: Select all

find / -iname eschalon_book_1
to locate it.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Did you cd into the Eschalon folder first, AlexMontana? Your terminal normally opens in your home drive: if you installed Eschalon there in the usual way, first you have to do

cd eschalon_book_1
to enter the Eschalon folder, then

./eschalon_book_1
Edit: if you've changed the name of the Eschalon folder or have it installed somewhere else, then modify the first command accordingly. Allow some time for the game to start, as well; it takes a little while.
AlexMontana
Initiate

Post by AlexMontana »

Sorry! I should have mentioned, that I already was in the Eschalon directory. So the executable is there. And I know where it is, but I can't start it somehow!
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Check the permissions of the executable, AlexMontana - in particular, make sure that it is executable.

What distribution are you using, and what messages do you get in the terminal when you try to start the game?

Edit: scrub that last question - you already answered it!
AlexMontana
Initiate

Post by AlexMontana »

Should not be a problem of permissions because everybody has the read and execute permissions...
Tried "chmod a+x eschalon_book_1" anyway, and of course it didn't change anything... Hmmm..

I am running xUbuntu 7.10. Kernel version is 2.6.22-14
Sengir
Initiate

Post by Sengir »

Wait.... did you try

chmod a+x eschalon_book_1
on the file or the directory? Because if you tried it on the file and didn't give you an error, you've accomplished something I have never seen before (It would mean that the chmod command had no trouble finding the file, whereas the bash command had no idea where to look).
If you did it on the folder... The file does show up with "ls -al" ? If it doesn't, something went wrong with untar, if it does, well, then I'm running out of ideas, but posting the results of

file *
(inside the folder) might reveal something, though it probably wont.
AlexMontana
Initiate

Post by AlexMontana »

I applied the "chmod" command on the file. Then I tried several other commands on the file, and they all worked, but I still can't start the game.

Here's the result of the file command:

data:                        directory
eschalon_book_1:             ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
eschalon.cfg:                ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
Eschalon Players Manual.pdf: PDF document, version 1.4
gfx.pak:                     \012- Assembler source
help.html:                   HTML document text
launch_icon.png:             PNG image data, 128 x 128, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
license.txt:                 ASCII English text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators
music:                       directory
sound:                       directory
Everything SHOULD work, but somehow it doesn't...
I also checked the kernel configuration and made sure, that I compiled the 32-bit emulation and ELF-support. I'm running out of ideas, too.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

What sort of system are you running on, Alex?
AlexMontana
Initiate

Post by AlexMontana »

I'm sorry, what do you mean by what sort of system?
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

What sort of machine - what CPU, videocard etc, Alex?

Edit: BTW the md5sum on my eschalon_book_1 executable (which works fine) is:

e21a3861176e3fd9886edd66bddc2ffc eschalon_book_1

What's yours? Also, have you tried just double-clicking the executable?
AlexMontana
Initiate

Post by AlexMontana »

I'm running linux on a MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM, Intel 945 (?) Graphic Chip with 64 MB shared memory. The Mac OS version runs fine under Mac OS, but I prefer not to have games on my "work partition"...

md5sums are the same...

The error message from xfce is (translated to english):
Could not rename "eschalon_book_1"
Childprocess »/home/alexm/eschalon_book_1/eschalon_book_1« could not be executed (No such file or directory).
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

I don't know much about Macs, Alex, Intel or otherwise. I would have thought that an i386 executable should run fine in Linux on an Intel based one, but I don't know. Are you using an i386 or a PPC version of Xubuntu?
AlexMontana
Initiate

Post by AlexMontana »

I guess the problem is, that I am using a 64-bit kernel and the 32-bit emulation duesn't work, or something like that. Anyway, I found out, that some other programms don't work with exactly the same error. I think, I will just install a 32-bit kernel the next days. If that doesn't fix the problem... :-(

Thanks for your help, acoustibop!
Alex
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

You're welcome, Alex, even if I wasn't much help - please let us know how you get on! ;)

Edit: actually, I think that, to run 32bit applications on 64bit systems, you may have to force installation of 32bit versions of some of the libraries you need. I'm not sure because I don't have a 64bit system. Have a look through dfreer's advice on installing pSX Emulator (a Playstation emulator that seems to have broadly similar requirements to E:BI) on 64bit systems in the Ubuntu forums. You could try pming dfreer as well; he's a very helpful person.