Eschalon: Book 1 on Fedora 9

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
phoenix
Initiate

Eschalon: Book 1 on Fedora 9

Post by phoenix »

Has anyone been able to get Book 1 running on Fedora 9?
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Eschalon: Book 1 on Fedora 9

Post by acoustibop »

Well, a search doesn't show anything, phoenix. However, if you're having problems installing it and getting it to run, it would help if you told us how you installed/tried to install it and what problems you're getting.
phoenix
Initiate

Post by phoenix »

Well I downloaded the demo because I have been looking for a third person RPG for a while now. After downloading the demo I untar'd it and ran the program from the command line. The dependency on "libstdc++.so.5 is one thing I have tried to get past but have been unable to. So when ran I get the following.

[user@eagle eschalon_book_1_demo]# ./eschalon_book_1_demo
./eschalon_book_1_demo: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

If there is a known way to get around the dependency on libstdc++.so.5 that would be great.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Well, assuming you have libstdc++ installed, phoenix, it's probable that libstdc++.so.5 isn't where the game is looking for it. You need to find out where that is and put a symlink there to its actual location.

Alternatively, installing the -dev version of the libstdc++ package will sometimes put links in the right place.
phoenix
Initiate

Post by phoenix »

Was able to get it working by downloading an older libstdc++ version.....since libstdc++.so.6 is what ships with Fedora 9.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Ah, that's useful to know, phoenix. I notice I have both versions installed on my Hardy system; I'm not sure if this is default, or whether I installed the older version as you've just done.