error

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
confused1
Apprentice

error

Post by confused1 »

justin@justin-desktop:~$ cd Desktop/eschalon_book_1_demo
justin@justin-desktop:~/Desktop/eschalon_book_1_demo$ ./eschalon_book_1_demo
./eschalon_book_1_demo: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
justin@justin-desktop:~/Desktop/eschalon_book_1_demo$
This is copied from the terminal. I bought the game with the CD about a week ago. I pmed BW for the D/L for linux but either he has been gone or it never got sent. So I tried doing the demo and I get that error. Any help? I know acoustibop tried helping me before. But I was of no use then. I am running 8.04 Ubuntu. 32bit OS. Let me know if you need anything else. I have to go to work now, I won't be back for about 7 hours.
If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: error

Post by acoustibop »

Try installing libstdc++5, confused1. This is an older version of the library, so may not be installed by default. Either do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
or just install it in Synaptic.
confused1
Apprentice

Re: error

Post by confused1 »

Thank you! It worked, but now Eschalon run very slowly, to hazard a guess at how many fps i was getting I'd wager no more than maybe 5 fps. It was really slow, with 16-bit color, and non full screen. Even the loader was slow! I know my computer can handle it. I have had it playing Over lord. So I'm thinking the video card drivers weren't loaded maybe?
Edit: sovled it myself, driver hadn't been enabled. Thanks acoustibop! Of course, now the resolution isn't 1280x1024 anymore and I can't change it back, so yay!
If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men.