appstub.linux signal handler 11 upon entering Blackwater map

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
wnagy
Pledge

appstub.linux signal handler 11 upon entering Blackwater map

Post by wnagy »

I've been playing successfully for several days and I'm really enjoying the game (I have the full version.) I've completed all of the quests that I've found so far except for the one that requires that I head to Blackwater. The problem is, whenever I head to the map that contains Blackwater (I believe, as I've never actually made it there) the game crashes with an appstub.linux signal handler 11 error after the "loading" message pops up. This happens both when I try to enter the map from the east as well as from the south. I'm able to go to other areas (both new and previously seen) just fine.

Let me know what info you need, and I'll be happy to supply it.

Thanks,
-Bill
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: appstub.linux signal handler 11 upon entering Blackwater map

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Can you give me your system specs?

Also, you say you've never been to the map where Blackwater is? That is weird that you would have played that far into the game without a problem. Sounds like maybe a corrupt file in that map. You might want to try reinstalling the game from the original archive and see if that helps. Or before you do that, how about simply rebooting your computer and then try the game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

wnagy wrote:I've been playing successfully for several days and I'm really enjoying the game (I have the full version.) I've completed all of the quests that I've found so far except for the one that requires that I head to Blackwater. The problem is, whenever I head to the map that contains Blackwater (I believe, as I've never actually made it there) the game crashes with an appstub.linux signal handler 11 error after the "loading" message pops up. This happens both when I try to enter the map from the east as well as from the south. I'm able to go to other areas (both new and previously seen) just fine.
I am experiencing a somewhat similar (though different) problem. The "western tanglewood" section of the map is my trouble area. The game has crashed (with the same error as wnagy) the first time I entered the map. I reopened the game and return to the area, and I was able to explore a bit, but after a few minutes spent on this area the game again crashed with the same message. This has not happened in any other map area.

The title screen says I have version 1.042c of the game. I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1. Kernel is 2.6.24-19. My video card is a GeForce 7950GT with 256MB of video memory. My processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750.

Let me know if any other info would be helpful. Is there a log file or anything I should check?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

There may be a few obscure memory bugs here- the next time this happens, try a fresh reboot of the computer and let me know if you are able to play any longer after you return to the game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:There may be a few obscure memory bugs here- the next time this happens, try a fresh reboot of the computer and let me know if you are able to play any longer after you return to the game.
I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. (Though, I am a bit hesitant to put much time in when I may lose progress in this way - I am particularly absent minded about saving)

Out of curiosity, what language is the game written in? I guess C or C++ if obscure memory bugs are a potential problem :)

At any rate, I've been having loads of fun with book 1, excellent stuff.
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

zarvok wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:There may be a few obscure memory bugs here- the next time this happens, try a fresh reboot of the computer and let me know if you are able to play any longer after you return to the game.
I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. (Though, I am a bit hesitant to put much time in when I may lose progress in this way - I am particularly absent minded about saving)
Well, I tried again this morning on a fresh reboot of my computer and it crashed after spending 3 or 4 minutes exploring the map (western tanglewood). It doesn't seem to be related to where I am on the map. This is an annoying bug - I hope it doesn't turn up in any other squares.
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

zarvok wrote:Well, I tried again this morning on a fresh reboot of my computer and it crashed after spending 3 or 4 minutes exploring the map (western tanglewood). It doesn't seem to be related to where I am on the map. This is an annoying bug - I hope it doesn't turn up in any other squares.
I managed to finish exploring the area by saving frequently and reloading when I crashed (man, that sinkhole was brutal! :) ). I don't think I'll need to revisit the area, what with quick traveling, so I don't need a fix, really. But, it might be worth looking into anyway.