Demo not responding to input

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
desired_username
Pledge

Demo not responding to input

Post by desired_username »

Eschalon looks like a nice game in the tradition of older RPGs, so I'm trying to run the demo. My machine is a 64-bit Lenovo laptop running Debian unstable with the stock kernel 2.6.25-1-amd64. I have downloaded 32-bit libraries and put them into the library path so that the demo will launch properly (without complaining about missing libraries). After the demo launches, it opens a registration window with text fields for a registration code and buttons reading "Submit," "Buy Now!", and "Play Demo." None of the buttons respond when clicked on, and the text fields don't respond to user input. The game doesn't appear to be frozen, as the cursor in the first textfield blinks as is usual for cursors in text fields. If I close the window with my window manager, the game prints:

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

and then exits.

To rule out interference from my window manager (wmii), I tried running just Eschalon in X with this command:

DISPLAY=:1 startx ./Eschalon_Book_I -- :1

When started like this, the game still displays the behavior that I described above.

Are there any recommendations as to how I should proceed in trying to run the demo?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Demo not responding to input

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Admittedly, I am not a "Linux Expert" by any means, mostly because of all the different distributions available, and questionable video support on various chip sets. I don't have any recommendations for you regarding your problem, but I encourage you to look through this forum (Linux Support) and see what you can.

We test the game exclusively on 32-bit Ubuntu and can only guarantee the game's compatibility on that distro. However, I have yet to find anyone who has not gotten Eschalon to work on any distro, with enough tweaking.

As a last resort, you can also try the Windows version via WINE.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

I have not yet retested Book I on my new Ubuntu 64 version.

I will try that over the weekend and let you know.

I will start with the demo to make sure.

Cheers
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Hi,

I have installed the full version with just one problem. It starts with no sound.

Quick search on google found me the following link http://forum.playgreenhouse.com/jforum/ ... t/789.page that did save my sound issue.

You should have no problem to run it on Ubuntu Hardy 64bits.

Enjoy the game.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks for helping out, RezoApio!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.