Sound problems - sometimes

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
MaximB
Senior Steward

Sound problems - sometimes

Post by MaximB »

I'm using the latest stable Ubuntu "Ibex" and the game runs fine with sounds and all, but sometimes it runs without sound at all while I do have sound in movies and music files, only after restarting Ubuntu the game runs with sound again.

I suspect that happens after I watch a movie or play a music file, I remember a similar thing happened to me before in the previous Ubuntu version, at the time I just closed some services related to sound and they restarted after I lunched an app using that sound.

I would like to know what services I need to restart or close to hear a sound in the game.

P.S
I'm talking about the demo here but I suspect the full game has the same problem.
About an hour ago I've bought the game, and one thing I ask myself - why is the download speed so slow ? only about 9-10KB/s while I have a connection of 5/512 ?!
I remember buying other games and using other services with much much higher download speed.
lammdon
Pledge

Re: Sound problems - sometimes

Post by lammdon »

Killing pulseadudio seems to solve the sound problem for me.

$ pulseaudio -k
Tyranthraxus
Steward

Re: Sound problems - sometimes

Post by Tyranthraxus »

MaximB, see my reply to "Weird sound bug" above, to see how I cured problems with KDE not releasing sound back to the syatem.