[SOLVED] Strange Error - Unable to calculate tex sizeappstub

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Janusz11
Apprentice

[SOLVED] Strange Error - Unable to calculate tex sizeappstub

Post by Janusz11 »

Hello!

I'm trying to run Eschalon on Arch Linux 64. But when I try to start it I get the following error message that I don't understand:

Code: Select all

./eschalon_book_1
Setting sound driver: Default
Unable to calculate tex sizeappstub.linux signal handler 11
I have installed all 32bit libraries needed, so that shouldn't be a problem.
The only thing I found out so far is that this has something to do with the Blitz engine. But I don't know what to do.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Btw., Eschalon is running fine on my Zenwalk 5.2 (32bit)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Problem has been solved. As mentioned in this thread, only lib32-nvidia-utils was needed.
Last edited by Janusz11 on January 25th, 2009, 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkwind
Steward
Location: Salt Lake City, UT -- Or 35,000ft in the air on a Delta Jet.

Re: Strange Error - Unable to calculate tex sizeappstub

Post by Hawkwind »

If you're not logged in as root, try running like this:

Code: Select all

sudo ./eschalon_book_1
It'll prompt you for your password. See if that makes a difference. Totally does on Ubuntu.
Getharn
Marshall

Post by Getharn »

Not sure what the specific problem is here, but signal 11 under Linux is SIGSEGV, the so-called "segmentation fault". This is a common consequence of certain bugs in software, so it seems unlikely this is due to something like misconfiguration. However, there's no telling where the bug is - it could well be in a sound or graphics driver on the system, and nothing to do with the game at all.

On a brief search around for the error messages, it sounds like there was a suspicion that it was some problem with loading textures for an incorrect graphics resolution - this is a post from some forums for a completely different game:

sounds like the programmer for this game is using blitzmax. If this is so, then I guess that the problem is that game is trying to load a texture before setting the graphics mode. You will have to contact the author to get this problem fixed.

They suggest running the game at the native resolution for the screen, but you may well be using a higher resolution than Book I supports. Also, if it can't even display the chooser window, it seems unlikely that it is, in fact, a texture-related issue - you never can tell whether people have a clue when you read random forum posts. Like mine, here. :-)

Or does the Linux version not have the windowed resolution chooser like the OS X version? Maybe there's a command-line option to force a particular resolution?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Have you tried the new 1.05 demo? I'd be interested in seeing if this newer version fixes or increase these occasional launch problems.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Janusz11
Apprentice

Post by Janusz11 »

Thanks alot for all your help!

The above mentioned snippet posted by Getharn led me to the assumption that this error has something to do with the Biltz engine. I have already tried some different configurations but no luck.

Thanks for pointing me to the new demo, BasiliskWrangler. I have tried it but the error is the same. Also, starting the game as root doesn't help. Therefore, I think this has something to do with Arch Linux and my setup. Maybe there are still some things missing or just differently configured. I don't know, but the game runs fine on Zenwalk, so I think something is "wrong" here on Arch.

Thanks again anyway!