Purchased on playgreenhouse.com, how to get newest version

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
razialx
Pledge

Purchased on playgreenhouse.com, how to get newest version

Post by razialx »

I just purchased this on playgreenhouse.com.

The game says I have version 1.042c
How do I get version 1.05?
razialx
Pledge

Re: Purchased on playgreenhouse.com, how to get newest version

Post by razialx »

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=2052

The second post clearly states that a 1.05 version of the linux client was produced.

This has nothing to do with being lazy. Or be afraid of using search. The front page for this game linked to that forum page. That page listed that the release version of the software is 1.05. The version I downloaded wasn't that. Do you really expect customers to have to go and search to see if there is information that is counter to what is presented to them by the company's website?

I didn't ask for a patch. I wanted the whole 1.05 version. If 1.042c is essentially equivalent to 1.05, then why doesn't Basilisk just have it show version 1.05 to avoid any confusion? That isn't laziness on my part.

If my problem is related to the Linux version of Eschalon, then I guess I should have been searching in the regular forum, and not the Linux support forum. What was I thinking?

I don't know if it is because it is late or what, but your tone really bothers me. I don't think I am going to buy book 2. Too bad.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I can't really speak for BW on the whole 1.05 vs 1.042c bit, but I would take a guess and say it has to do with being able to differentiate where the game is being purchased from.

So you're going to deprive yourself of a possibly wonderful gaming experience just because you didn't like the tone of someone in a forum? That seems a bit on the extreme side...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

CrazyBernie wrote:I can't really speak for BW on the whole 1.05 vs 1.042c bit, but I would take a guess and say it has to do with being able to differentiate where the game is being purchased from.
Exactly. We have to have some way for people to tell us what version they are running.

1.04 was the last patched version from us.
1.042c was the Greenhouse version. It contains some Greenhouse specific code and a number of bug fixes.
1.05 is the current full version available from us. It has the Greenhouse fixes and a couple other small fixes. We decided not to create a patch because, as razialx was trying to do, it would wreck your Greenhouse install if you tried to patch it.
1.05s is the Steam version of Book I. It is, as you would have guessed, 1.05 with Steam's specific code requirements.

So, the next obvious questions is, why do we not update the Greenhouse version to 1.05? Well, again, there are very, very few differences between 1.042c and 1.05. It takes a lot of time and effort to re-integrate the DRM into the latest code base, register the game on Greenhouse's service, repackage it and upload it. This all has to be done for 4 versions (Win, Mac-Intel, Mac-PPC, and Linux) and it took almost 3 weeks to do it the first time. This expenditure of resources is just not necessary given the minute changes between the two versions.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
razialx
Pledge

Post by razialx »

Thank you BasiliskWrangler.

I can understand not wanting to go through the hassle of reintegrating DRM into your software, though if the process takes that long I would think there is something wrong with the technology PlayGreenhouse uses.

Is it possible for your company to put a notice up on PlayGreenhouse to let customers know that they have a sufficiently patched version, or something of that nature?

It was honestly confusing when I saw on your website that the newest version is 1.05 and then after purchasing the game I found that I needed to install libstdc++.5 which wasn't required of the demo (which linked to 6, obviously). The main issue for me was there is no direct link to version 5, and now I had purchased from a 3rd party and was worried I would have a hobbled version of the software (I read the changelist, and although I didn't know what events it was talking about I certainly didn't want the errant behavior). I didn't go to the standard forum because I assumed this was a linux-centric problem (as it often is when purchasing retail software for my platform of choice).

On that note, I want to thank you guys for developing for Linux. I wish more companies would release Linux versions, and maybe they will in the future.