Installation on Ubuntu 9.04 - help!

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
rapmastersethmc
Pledge

Installation on Ubuntu 9.04 - help!

Post by rapmastersethmc »

I bought Eschalon Book I primarily because it works on Linux.

But when I downloaded the package, I can't get it to run at all. Here is the error I get, whether I am user or root:

Code: Select all

./Eschalon_Book_I: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 
I just unzipped the file in my home directory. There didn't seem to be any Linux installation instructions. Is there a apt-get or repository for this? I've been a happy Linux user since 1995, but after trying a lot of Linux distros, I'm using mostly Ubuntu.

My machine is an EEE Box. I feel like I'm either missing a library or am installed in the wrong place. I'm excited about a full serious RPG on Linux!
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Re: Installation on Ubuntu 9.04 - help!

Post by dare49devil »

rapmastersethmc wrote:I'm excited about a full serious RPG on Linux!
-I can't help you with your problems, but I can say you are in for good ol' days. Hope your problem is fixed ASAP! =)
rapmastersethmc
Pledge

Post by rapmastersethmc »

rapmastersethmc wrote:I bought Eschalon Book I primarily because it works on Linux.

But when I downloaded the package, I can't get it to run at all. Here is the error I get, whether I am user or root:

./Eschalon_Book_I: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 
I just unzipped the file in my home directory. There didn't seem to be any Linux installation instructions. Is there a apt-get or repository for this? I've been a happy Linux user since 1995, but after trying a lot of Linux distros, I'm using mostly Ubuntu.

My machine is an EEE Box. I feel like I'm either missing a library or am installed in the wrong place. I'm excited about a full serious RPG on Linux!
Here is the answer:

From a terminal, type the following:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
Wow. The startup is impressive, the game is easy to get started with, but my character seems to walk a bit slow. Two questions:

1. Is there a way to speed up the time to walk from one square to another? I'm on a low-powered EEE Box.
2. Is there some way to switch the mouse so it works like UO? I want left-click to move me. I've been playing Ultima since Ultima II (on a Mac).

Anyway, I'm off and running. I would suggest that you compile the library statically for libstc++5, but what do I know?

Anyway, I'm excited!
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

Wow. The start up is impressive, the game is easy to get started with, but my character seems to walk a bit slow. Two questions:

1. Is there a way to speed up the time to walk from one square to another? I'm on a low-powered EEE Box.

Anyway, I'm excited!
-No speed increase. =/ However, BW has taken note of this and there now is a an increase in character movement in Game II (20% faster I believe).
Poxx
Initiate

Post by Poxx »

I run Eschalon on Ubuntu 9.04 ( Jaunty ) and it runs perfectly smooth on my laptop, other games don't run nearly as smoothly.