Re-download?

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
jfleming9232
Initiate

Re-download?

Post by jfleming9232 »

I recently upgraded to Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10). After the upgrade, I was no longer able to play Eschalon. When I click the icon, nothing happens. I just downloaded the demo and it works great. My question is, due to the fact that I did a clean install on the new OS, do I need to re-download my purchased version of this game? If so, what do I need to do to make that happen. I originally purchased this game on Dec. 16, 2008.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Re-download?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Sounds like you are missing a library that is required. Run it through the console and you'll probably see an error kicked up.

You are probably missing libstdc++5
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
jfleming9232
Initiate

Post by jfleming9232 »

Thanks for the quick response. How do I run the program in console? Secondly, after checking synaptic, I find libstdc++6 is installed. Is this an updated version of the one you referenced and will I have to "revert" to libstdc++5 in order to run eschalon?
jfleming9232
Initiate

Post by jfleming9232 »

I figured out how to run in console and I do get the following error message:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However, I'm not sure how to locate or install this file.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yeah, this is pretty much an outdated library but Book 1 still requires it (off topic- this is related to a larger discussion we've had about re-releasing Book 1 in the future compiled for the newest OSs, thus not requiring outdated libraries).

Anyways, yes, you need the older libstdc++.so.5 library. I actually do not yet have Ubuntu 9.10 on any machine here so I can't give you step-by-step instructions. You might need to drop a message on an Ubuntu forum a just tell them you need help getting this library. It is pretty simple I'm sure.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
jfleming9232
Initiate

Post by jfleming9232 »

Thanks for the help. I'll check the ubuntu forums for help on getting the library. By the way, the demo plays GREAT in 9.10. The graphics are a lot faster and more seemless plus full screen works.
jfleming9232
Initiate

Post by jfleming9232 »

For anyone else who has this problem, here is a link to the libstdc++.so.5 file. After installing the deb package, my program runs fine.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libstdc++5

Thanks again for the help.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

BW, I recommend continuing to build against older versions so that your game is supported on older distros. Not everyone who runs Linux stays up to date with the latest/greatest. Games built against older libs will still work on newer distros.

I wrote a series of articles on commercial Linux game development that were published on gamedev.net. I highly recommend reading them - I got most of that info from Gerry Jo Jellestad, a professional Linux game developer who has a lot of experience with building and distributing Linux binaries. I found that info so valuable (and hard to find on the net) that I wrote a series of articles (with his permission) to share that info with others. Out of the 5 articles, the second and third are probably the most valuable - how to build a binary that will run on almost any distro within the past 5-6 years, and how to package it up so it is easy to install.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Adict
Pledge

Post by Adict »

Sadly..this doesnt work for me. After upgrading form 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 Eschalon refuses to launch. Ther error is that Iam missing the libstdc++.so.5 Well I also thought that downloading it would help but... nothing happens.
Im afraid it might have something to do with the fact that Im using 64-bit OS ?
torturedutopian
Initiate

Post by torturedutopian »

Hi !

I just purchased Book 1 and figured out the libstdc++ 5 library was missing as well.

As I also use a 64 bits OS, I need 32 bits compatibility libraries, which I have to copy to /usr/lib32

Well, here is the solution :)
http://hsmak.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/h ... untu-9-10/

I really wonder if there are ways to prevent such issues in the future, which really do harm potential commercial developments. (doesn't affect OSS software which can be automatically rebuilt / fixed by the community)

Or maybe Ubuntu is at fault for not providing compatibility libs anymore ?

Cheers !
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

The ia32-libs package isn't available anymore?

I know this package has never been installed by default in Ubuntu, but it has always been available. Has this really changed? (Don't have a 64-bit Linux box in front of me at the moment to confirm)

Incidentally, the fact that libstdc++5 is deprecated is why I recommend in my articles that commercial developers distribute the specific versions of certain libraries that they need with their program. You cannot count on a specific version to be available on any given distro.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland