Can i play Eschalon: Book I with Nokia n900?

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
gardu
Pledge

Post by gardu »

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Can i play Eschalon: Book I with Nokia n900?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This? I am sorry, no. At this time we have no plans to develop Eschalon for mobile devices, but that may change.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
gardu
Pledge

Post by gardu »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:This? I am sorry, no. At this time we have no plans to develop Eschalon for mobile devices, but that may change.

Ok. I know that some linux games work well with n900. Operating system is Maemo 5 Linux so you dont need "mobile version".

This example is from Quake 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiF60oWAsJI
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

gardu wrote:This example is from Quake 3
Hey, that is pretty cool. I'm sure it is a custom version though, not just running the original PC version directly on the phone.

I wish we had the resources to hire a couple people whose job would be to convert graphics & code over to as many other devices as possible (mobiles, netbooks, XBOX, PSP, Wii, etc.) but we just don't. :?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Eschalon on my Droid would certainly get me to buy an extra battery or three. ^_^

Considering the game's system requirements, and my own personal performance observations, I feel pretty safe saying that it wouldn't run natively on any mobile device.
gardu
Pledge

Post by gardu »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Hey, that is pretty cool. I'm sure it is a custom version though, not just running the original PC version directly on the phone.

I wish we had the resources to hire a couple people whose job would be to convert graphics & code over to as many other devices as possible (mobiles, netbooks, XBOX, PSP, Wii, etc.) but we just don't. :?
'
It's not custom version. It's linux version from Quake 3. N900 operating system is Linux.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Couple of things.

1. Quake III's system requirements are rediculously low by today's standards.
3D graphics accelerator with full OpenGL support, Pentium II 233 MHz or AMD 350 MHz K6-2 processor or Athlon processor, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB video card, 500 MB of free hard drive space, 100% DirectX 3.0 or higher compatible sound card, CD-ROM drive (600 kB/s sustained transfer rate)
Even though it's not an x86, the Cortex-A8 in the N900 combined with its OpenGL 2.0 compliant PowerVR gpu has plenty of power to run a game as dated as Q3. Heck, Q3 was running on Pocket PC's with playable framerates several years ago.

2. Everything I've been able to gather on the version of Q3 running on the N900 [which is very little at this point] is that it's a port that's currently in development. Regardless if it uses the original data files, the engine itself is custom... so at this point there's no telling what features may have been left out to provide a smooth playing experience. Also, keep in mind that Maemo is a Debian derived OS written specifically for Phones/Internet Tablets. That combined with the fact that it's a custom port tells you it's not "the" linux version.
gardu
Pledge

Post by gardu »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:

Hi again,

I was wondering can you guys do something like this? http://my-maemo.com/software/applicatio ... 088&faq=35

Im loving it! You can play your windows version of Jagged alliance 2 with it (you still need to have original cd:s). It works fine:) If i understand you need to have sourcecode if you want to do little program wich lets you play original game. Please Basilisk! Do this for me and many other Eschalon fans. I can easily pay at least 10 dollars extra (29,95) from Eschalon + "maemoportprogram" bundle and i think i'm not a only one.

To be honest. N900 is a geek gadget and almost all my geekfriends also love Eschalon... So there might be potential market here.