Running game under Ubuntu with Wine

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Altefcat
Initiate

Running game under Ubuntu with Wine

Post by Altefcat »

I've just discovered your game, and as a big fan of solo RPG, I can't wait to play it !

I'm an Ubuntu user, and when I launch the demo with wine, the "Launch Menu" window appears, but it's empty. If I click on random on it, I can sometimes launch the game in a window.

Do you know if there is a way to configure Wine to display the "Launch Menu" properly ?

By the way, you can count on me as a future Linux player :wink:
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

I also use linux (Arch64), and have tried running it with wine. The start button is at the bottom of the window, so you don't have to click randomly. You can also configure the game in that window, so clicking randomly probably changes your settings.

The game created a "Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games" folder in my home folder, where there is a eschalon.cfg file. In that file you can configure whether you want to use DX or OpenGL, and fullscreen or windowed. OpenGL will be much faster than DX, so it's recommended to change that.

But I hope it won't be long before the linux version is out. I will buy the game as soon as that happens.
Altefcat
Initiate

Post by Altefcat »

Ok thanks. Could someone post a screenshot of that launch menu ? That would be easier to guess where to click...
Altefcat
Initiate

Post by Altefcat »

I have installed Demo 1.4, and now I can't even see the game under my Ubuntu, the game window is displaying a part of the Gnome background :cry: ! Anyone else facing such behavior ?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I will try to get the Linux demo posted sometime this weekend so you people can give it a healthy shake down on your favorite distro.

I have no idea about Wine compatibility. I've never used it.
Janusz11
Apprentice

Post by Janusz11 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I will try to get the Linux demo posted sometime this weekend
Ah, that sounds good! Can't wait.
cicobuff
Initiate

Post by cicobuff »

Wine needs lots of configuration to get it working. So don't expect a windows type 1 click operation to get the windows version to work.

If you really want a 1 click platform to play windows games on Linux, use Cedega. I'm very pleased with it, very good UI (compared to wine) and allows configuration for individual games easily. Although you do have to pay, I think it was worth my quids.

Anyway, since the demo for Linux is out, junk the windows crap and play native! =)