Problem re-starting game

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Bazu135
Pledge

Problem re-starting game

Post by Bazu135 »

Bit late for this to be filed as a bug, so I'm moreso hoping there's a known workaround for it! :D

One problem I have with playing RPGs is that I have the attention span of an ADHD sufferer - I'll make a main character and play the story out with him, but every now and then I'll go "Oooh! I wonder what [this] build would be like?!" I'll then start a new game, play for half an hour with that new build, decide I don't like it all that much after all, and then go back to my main character.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes, when I do this, I lose some of my options in the game - for instance, I'll sometimes no longer be able to press space to wait a turn. More recently, I've not been able to access the in-game menu either, whether it be by pressing esc or clicking on the disk icon at the top of the screen. This is obviously a bit problematic, as I can only save the game to quicksave if I want to save it (say, if I've switched back to my main character again), and can only exit the game by opening a terminal and restarting my computer!

Short version:

- Mid-game, decide to start a new game
- Create new character etc, start playing
- Space and/or esc/menu icon completely lose functionality
- Forced to restart system to exit
- Problem doesn't always come up

Aside from the obvious solution of sticking to one character per session, has anyone got a fix/suggestion for this?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Problem re-starting game

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Are you running the latest version of Book I?

Do you reboot your system regularly (every few days at least?) Book I can experience some weird behavior on computers that have been left on for a while.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Bazu135
Pledge

Re: Problem re-starting game

Post by Bazu135 »

Downloaded it a few days ago, so I'd assume it's the latest version! :lol:

And yes, my system usually gets shut down every night or two, so I'd hope that's not the issue either!

It's not a game-breaker for me (despite, ironically, it breaking a bit of the game :lol:), since my PC boots pretty quickly; it's just a bit inconvenient. Just thought I'd see if there was a flag to turn off or something that might help :)