How do you run the program

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
jbumgar
Pledge

How do you run the program

Post by jbumgar »

Ok I'm a newbie. I finally figured out how to extract the game. So I go to the home folder go into the eschalon 1 folder so now what do I do I do. This is my first linux game and I'm definitly not having a good time. Such a hassle.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: How do you run the program

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Click the icon that says "eschalon_book_1".
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
jbumgar
Pledge

Post by jbumgar »

Did that and it does nothing.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

What version of Linux are you running? We work exclusively with Ubuntu (specifically 10.04 LTS) and can only ensure that the game runs flawlessly on that distro.

I admit that I am not the most knowledgeable Linux person here, so if you can post more info about your computer and Linux version, there may be someone else here that can better help you.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Can you open a shell, and run the game through the command-line ?

Code: Select all

#cd /wherever/the/game/is
#./eschalon_book_1
And if the game doesn't start, can you copy/paste whatever is displayed in shell (providing eschalon_book_1 is the binary name)?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

You may also need to invoke Book I with the "padsp" audio wrapper program for sound to function correctly:

$ padsp ./eschalon_book_1
skeletons
Pledge

Post by skeletons »

I have this very same issue.

I have an Asus G51jx laptop running ubuntu 10.04

when I tried opening it via terminal I got this message

./eschalon_book_1: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but I know that it is in that directory
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

That message means eschalon can't find libstdc++.so.5

So you have to install it.
Search for the libstdc++ with apt-get, to see if it's installed.
Or you could check if it really isn't there. Not sure exactly where to look in Ubuntu, try /bin/lib (or something/lib) maybe.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

In Ubuntu or other Debian-based distributions, libstdc++.so.5 is in the "libstdc++5" package. To install it:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
For x86_64 architectures, you might also need ia32-libs:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Piripács
Pledge

Post by Piripács »

Hi.

I use Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit. I have installed the "ia32-libs" and the "libstdc++5", but when i try to start the game (in terminal with padsp) i always get this error message:

"error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

WTF???? :x

I reinstall the whole Ubuntu and everything but its not help, get the same error.

The demo of the game runs perfectly!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Piripács wrote: I use Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit. I have installed the "ia32-libs" and the "libstdc++5", but when i try to start the game (in terminal with padsp) i always get this error message:

"error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

WTF???? :x

I reinstall the whole Ubuntu and everything but its not help, get the same error.

The demo of the game runs perfectly!
Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Could you run some commands in the terminal and post the output?

Run "ldd eschalon" in the directory of both the demo and the full version. Run "dpkg -L libstdc++5". The output of all that should be short enough to paste here.

Finally, in the directory of the full version, run "strace -s256 -f ldd eschalon >& strace.txt" and attach the strace.txt file.
Matt3223
Pledge

Post by Matt3223 »

Do we know what dependencies are needed to run EB1 now-a-days? I had played this back in 2009 and was wanting to revisit, currently running Debian Wheezy...

Tested out the demo and get the
Failed to execute child process ".../Eschalon Book I Demo/Eschalon Book I Demo" (No such file or directory).
message...

I installed the libstdc++5 but that doesn't seem to have helped.
DMGSound
Pledge

Post by DMGSound »

I don't know if this will help anyone but I was having the same problem clicking the executable and nothing happened. I decided to download wine and play on Linux because I was ether going to download the windows ver.. to play, or see if I could install the Linux ver. I had already downloaded, into one of these programs. I didn't even have to go that far. I downloaded wine and play on Linux and went to the executable to drag it and accidentally double clicked it , and it ran just fine. Don't know much about Linux so couldn't tell you why it works now , possible wine and/or play on Linux put some type of program needed on Ubuntu to make executables run . but it ran on it's own not in a shell for wine or play on Linux.