Bug Report: Crash on simultaneous spell/torch use

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Arivor
Pledge

Bug Report: Crash on simultaneous spell/torch use

Post by Arivor »

Hello world/forum,

first of all, this is the best RPG since I discovered Lionheart. I'm halfway through Book I and really love it.

I have, however, encountered the following bug:
(I used Google and the forum search and didn't find a report, so I concluded this would be the place to file it?)

Problem
The game freezes when lighting up a torch while casting a spell.
Reproducibility
Always reproducible. In any game mode, cast a spell and use T to light up a torch. If you get the timing right (has to be around the middle of the casting animation), the bug will occur. Alternatively you can begin to cast and then spam the T button really fast; this will almost reliably get the timing right and summon the freeze.
Environment
I discovered and tested this on a GNU/Linux Debian 64Bit system running the native Linux version of Book I, latest available download version. I use the aoss wrapper to get sound working, other than that, no modifications.
Occurs with elemental as well as divine spells, whether cast on yourself or an external target.
System output
None. If running full screen, my laptop freezes completely and I have to restart my X session. In windowed mode I can regain control by forcing Eschalon to close. There is, however, no console output. Also I can't find any kind of log file, I assume Eschalon doesn't produce one.
Detailed description
The cause seems to be a torch lighting event in the middle of casting a spell. Whenever this happens, the game will freeze in that your character doesn't do anything anymore. The casting animation also freezes. You are, however, able to use any keyboard shortcut: You can light and douse torches, select spells, and open and close every window. The only window that will refuse to open is the save/options dialogue (Escape).
Meanwhile, you are not able to interact with the game world in any way: You cannot walk, cast, consume or use anything, cannot attack or examine things and cannot pick up anything from your inventory. You are able to quick-switch primary/secondary weapon and to ready spells.

Funny thing.

Sincerely
Arivor
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Bug Report: Crash on simultaneous spell/torch use

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thank you for the detailed report.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Bug Report: Crash on simultaneous spell/torch use

Post by SpottedShroom »

Confirmed - I see the same thing on Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit. I took a screenshot that shows the exact frame of the casting animation where the freeze occurs - see attached.

I also found a work-around, though: you can still enter camping mode (well, depending on where you are), and once you exit you're unstuck. Interestingly, once I've done that, I can't reproduce the bug again until I completely exit and relaunch the program.

Oh, and I was able to switch to a console (CTRL-ALT-F1) and kill the process manually to get out of a freeze in full screen mode. It left X in 800x600, but CTRL-ALT-+ fixed that.

I'm guessing you submit a lot of Debian bug reports, Arivor :)
Attachments
Freeze screenshot
Freeze screenshot
freeze.png (239.26 KiB) Viewed 9857 times