First Linux post

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
RezoApio
Marshall

First Linux post

Post by RezoApio »

I hope the opening of the forum means the Linux version will come very soon.

I remember BW speaking of ubuntu 7.04 as the test env for them.

Was there any other tested system ?

:P Happy to be the first Linux poster :D
Last edited by RezoApio on December 4th, 2007, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Unfortunately, no. We only have Ubuntu here in the Lair so I have never seen it run on anything else.

I will probably post the beta demo right here in this thread later this week and let you guys play around with it- tell me what I need to do to prepare it for the Linux market.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

As soon as it comes, I will install it. I have a Dapper currently running and I had planned to install 7.04 on my second hard drive so I will start it tongith to be ready in case it does not run on Dapper.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

I have openSuse 10.2 here to test it on. :D
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

I can test on Ubuntu 7.10 (newest, who cares about those older releases! ;))
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

install VMWare and you can run any version you want to test it on BW
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

Necromis wrote:install VMWare and you can run any version you want to test it on BW
Unfortunately not, since you need 3d acceleration to be able to play Eschalon. VMWare does not have that, so you won't be able to play Eschalon in VMWare.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

VMWare Fusion on the Mac has basic 3D support. I've successfully ran Eschalon in Windows XP via this method (a bit slowly but it runs). When the linux demo comes out I'll give a try, but I'm not sure if Fusion has 3D support for linux. To be honest I haven't cared to look, I only boot my Debian VM when absolutely needed.

We now see one of the perils of trying to release a commercial linux product such as a game, there are so many distributions and variables that it's impossible to be assured your product will run in all the different situations. Hopefully it runs well, and I'll expect that all those linux folks out there that have been CLAMORING for a commercial game release with linux support will be over here buying a copy.
viratoxe
Initiate

Post by viratoxe »

Ready to test on Gentoo Linux! :D

I expect very, very few problems at all. As nearly any Linux user with a little experience will tell you, at their heart, all the Linux distros are the same(ie. same/similar kernel). The differences come of course when you have the various distros adding their own "special" patches to the kernels instead of using "vanilla" sources. Yes, there are obviously hardware differences as well...NVidia or ATI? However, I believe that BlitzMax(the language used to program Eschalon) does a great job of taking these differences into account. Time will tell of course, but I know I *like* having a choice of which distro I use. There *must* be something great about Unix/Linux since Mac OSX is based off a BSD Unix kernel. Anyway, I am not concerned about having problems getting Eschalon to run and you can bet that after trying the demo, I will be PURCHASING the full version of this wonderful game!