Occupational Skills and Quests.

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Samsword
Initiate

Occupational Skills and Quests.

Post by Samsword »

I just thought of a really cool idea for EB2. What if there were more occupational skills, and quests.

I really don't like most MMORPGs, but one thing I think they do have going for them is occupational skills. Wouldn't it be cool if you had like BLACKSMITHING, and WOODCRAFTING, and other such skills. And you could totally have quests playing off that idea.

For instance, maybe when talking to a Blacksmith in some town, it checks to see if you have an Enchanting or Alchemy skill... and if you do, the blacksmith might randomly ask you to find and enchant something for him. Or if you have the Merchant skill, some Mayor may ask you to run a series of trading quests... etc.

This way you could make occupational quests different every time you play, but you could keep the "Adventuring Quests" the same, giving the game order to it... but also increasing it's replay value a lot. I also think that it would add more character depth too.
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

Increasing the number of skills by adding such stuff is not a good idea.It is a good thing for tabletop RPG and for MMORPGs,but not for singleplayer cRPGs.Especially not the ones that revolve around a story.It just makes the game too stuffed with useless(for most players)stuff.

However,adding a few random quests that depend on your skills would add a nice flavour and increase the replayability.But only if they are random and not always happening when you have the skill(which would lead to people going through the game for days in order to get all the skills to finish all the quests,thus removing the uniqueness from each separate game).
Samsword
Initiate

Post by Samsword »

I can see what you mean Daemian. What if there were some kind of guilds, though. Like there could be Mage guilds, Fighter guilds, Thief guilds, and so on.... for "extracurricular quests?" You could work your way through the ranks, have discounts (for example: if you're high in the Mage guild, you get discounts on Alchemy ingredients and spells.)

I don't know, just something to provide random quest chains and income sources, in addition to the others. Plus, it makes it more replayable to have Skill or Class specific quests.