More detailed game.

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
dragic
Pledge

More detailed game.

Post by dragic »

I haven't read all of the topics, but I would like more details in the game.
Like in Exile or Avernum (www.spiderwebsoftware.com).
I'm sorry if somebody already suggested this.
I look forward to Book II. :wink:

THX :)
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Hmm, kinda looks like a shill post to me. If, however, you are not simply trying to promote those games (which would be fairly silly since they are often referred to on this board) please do explain what you mean by "details."
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Probably more detailed story, Spiderweb tends to go into excruciating detail via text. Which is fine, Vogel is an incredible writer (in games and otherwise). I haven't felt that Eschalon lacked anything because many of the things that would just be described in a Spiderweb game is graphically depicted in Eschalon. I enjoy Vogel's detail, but to be honest I don't want Eschalon to add much more than it has, it's quickly become my wind down with a brew RPG. Spiderweb RPG's are usually accompanied by a pot of coffee.
dragic
Pledge

Post by dragic »

macdude22:

:roll: Kind of.
I mean. . . in Exile you can lift even a plate, drinking glass, bread. The stories, not only in books, are longer. The explanations are detailed for everything. You have to think MUCH. There are so much objects you can lift, like every sword, every shield, every scroll, potion that you see.

Now, i like Eschalon Book 1, and this is just my idea for Book 2.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I think you know what he means, and yes there could be a few more things to be lifted....however, I would not say the spiderweb games are way more detailed....errr let me rephrase...they use alot of recycled stuff from game to game...makes it much easier.
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

why would you want to lift plates and glasses? :/ Regardless if it will be like that or not i probably wont go around lifting plates :lol:
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Yes you can pick up EVERYTHING in most of Spiderweb's games but a ton of that stuff is unsell-able garbage. I don't really care one way or the other, but I guess I'd rather have less items to pick up than more useless filler.
Samsword
Initiate

Post by Samsword »

Yes it's true, Spiderweb games allow you to pick up everything. That doesn't mean it's necessary. I think Eschalon did an excellent job with inventory items, and such. It was a great game.
However, I do think that it would be cool to have more character detail. Not just your character but those that you interact with. It would be fun to have more dialogue options when speaking to NPCs. And it would be cool to have longer and more detailed quest chains.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Spiderweb games have those neat biting comments in item descriptions and some dialog choices. Jeff is quite willing to lead you down a useless path or face a moral dilemma.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Sure, it would be nice to have more items (and more detailed item descriptions) as well as a more interactive environment, but I don't think we need to go to the other extreme, where every item is useable/pickable. I, for one, don't really care if all the plates, cups and spoons on a dinner table can be picked up or not. I am content in having some items as decoration/local color only. Having said that, it would be great if there would be items e.g. on tables that you could pick up and not just in chests and barrels. Finding a correct balance between decoration items and usable items is up to subjective tastes and values, but I have hope that Book II's world will be more interactive and not just bigger than Book I.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.