character interaction changes to the world

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
wuji
Apprentice

character interaction changes to the world

Post by wuji »

it would be nice to have a more impact on the world through quest completion and actions in the world. for example, if something threatens a village and you help to deflect that threat, it should have some impact on the village(new people, new trade routes=new items, new quest etc.) as a result of improving given condition. the other possible way is not deflecting given threat could have a negative impact. however that would introduce a time constraint on players and rpgs generally avoid such action results. if neither of these takes place all quests and player actions feel artificial and unimportant. for example, making a route between two cities safe(after someone gives you a quest to do so), helping to establish a guard outpost to safeguard the route, should have an impact on both cities. as trade improves, both cities change, new problems and quest emerge and so on.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

yah, I was somewhat confused after I cleared the swap that the boat guy wasn't offering rides back to aridell, especially after he mentioned it ahead of time. probably something that got scrapped when quick travel was added, but, still, I'd like to feel impactful on the world. I don't like the feeling that "all the action took place before you started, except for your landing the final blow on the bad guy"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

silverkitty wrote:...probably something that got scrapped when quick travel was added...
Exactly. We were originally going to have 5-6 methods of travel built into the game world but many testers bemoaned that for several reasons, so we went with a generic quick travel system. The boat man was going to offer trips to Aridell, the Salted Coast and the Lighthouse originally.
TNoyce
Apprentice

Travel Systems

Post by TNoyce »

I personally do not have a problem with having multiple travel systems, multiple ways to reach a specific location, or locations that can only be reached using a certain type of transportation.
Tim Noyce
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: character interaction changes to the world

Post by Evnissyen »

I think having too many forms of travel might actually prove too elaborate for the game's own good.... Maybe this is what the original beta testers were complaining about? I don't know.

I like the idea of my own character being able to use boats... but to have modes of travel separated depending on location and then having to remember "to get to X I need to first go to N and then to L whence I can get a ride to X... does seem a little cumbersome, to me.

One shouldn't have to pay the ferry man, after all, if one can maneuver one's own boat. ...Or walk to the location.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
ChrisHallett
Initiate

Re: character interaction changes to the world

Post by ChrisHallett »

New skill - sailing?

The higher the level, the quicker you get from place to place? Longer journeys require more food and water, there is a higher chance of losing a save roll against inclement weather and being injured in a storm, or catching a cold [disease] when you get thrown overboard and have to swim back to your boat...
recluse
Apprentice

Re: Travel Systems

Post by recluse »

TNoyce wrote:I personally do not have a problem with having multiple travel systems, multiple ways to reach a specific location, or locations that can only be reached using a certain type of transportation.
I agree. Quick travel is easy, but having to walk to the ferryman is more realistic. I would think, though, that it's more work for developers.