Torches and Armor

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
matches4242
Pledge

Torches and Armor

Post by matches4242 »

(if these have already been covered, ignore them)
First I just wanna point out one thing about torches.
Now I guess at the begining of the game I got a little clepto with the Torches, seeing that many of the torches re-spawn and in many cases it was good for me to remove them from dungeons so that I would receive my Hide in Shadows. And I never really used my torches much since I had spells like cats eyes and predator sight and eventually built my character almost completely around hide in shadows. Anyhow somehow I ended up with like 30-40 torches on my character and I found one small problem, the only way it seems to get rid of them is to one by one burn them all out. As you cannot sell them and you can't throw them away since they're not contained in your inventory window like other items. Innkeepers can sell them(not sure why you'd bother to buy torches from them...), but yet you can't to my knowledge. However, torches still take up weight on your character which is a small amount but a lot of torches can add up in weight. Anyway, It might be nice in later versions that torches could be treated as inventory(meaning you could sell or throw them away). Granted since some torches are re-spawnable, it could become broken to sell them. ALso its nice having the torch button of course and the key command to also use them too. Design wise this may not be feasible depending on how your game engine is designed, you may have limitations on that.

I also noted that well armor seemed a little light in weight in some cases. Mostly the heavy armor. I don't know about anybody else, but I've worn real full chainmail and well its not light(a chainshirt is at least 30 pounds). Also in DnD most heavy armor weighs about 50 pounds, but of course that usually counts as a full suit rather then just a breastplate. The medium armor breastplate is weighed at about 30 pounds in DnD. Looking at an example, Rusted Iron Plate armor in Eschalon weighs 12 lbs. That seems a little too light to me. I would expect it to be more like 20-30 pounds at least. I mean I love that my puny newbie mage can carry around a full suit of armor in his inventory but it seems a little unrealistic. I mean of course well made, high quality armor can actually be pretty light. But I would expect something like the rusty iron plate to be clunky to move around in. Most other things seem to be alright weight wise, but armor does still seems to be a little on the light side.
Amazadh Kristeopolous
Apprentice

Re: Torches and Armor

Post by Amazadh Kristeopolous »

matches4242 wrote:...I don't know about anybody else, but I've worn real full chainmail and...
... :shock: ...well... ...you might just be in a minority there, but we'll cherish the image...
...no, seriously, you are right, the stats for the armour are way off, and could do with adjustment.

With the torches - I gathered several dozen at one point, but when I felt it was getting a bit silly, I started putting them back in the wall mountings whenever available!
"Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes..."
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

A great place to get rid of excess torches is in the quest for the blacksmith's divine ore (blacksmith in Blackwater)

Repeatedly opening the mercenaries hidden door will vaporize 6 of those buggers at a shot. Never see them again!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!