Food Spoilage?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Food Spoilage?

Post by realmzmaster »

BW states that there will be a food and water requirement. Should food be allowed to spoil? Some foods would spoil faster than other. Fresh fruit would spoil much faster than dried meats.

What about the possibility of filling water flask at a well or oasis? After you kill an edible animal you can carve it up for meat.

You can have a quest where the character must go out hunting to provide meat for a village that is on the edge of stravation. Or find a fresh water source for a nomadic tribe.
History is written by the winners!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Food spoilage may be a bit deep especailly if he decides to have deeper dungeons...I'm sure its possible but is that what would work well?
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

Rune_74 wrote:Food spoilage may be a bit deep especailly if he decides to have deeper dungeons...I'm sure its possible but is that what would work well?
Not to mention that it could introduce a mechanic that may not be too fun to deal with. Many, many people playing Civ III complained about corruption rendering certain cities in your civilization completely impotent (most said it was an "unfun" part of the game.) It used corruption to discourage large player empires. Civ IV does the same through a different mechanic. Food spoilage may be the same in Eschalon - not fun.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Mind you, people have commented before now about the disproportionate amount of stuff you can carry in your inventory - what about carrying a 'fridge around? ;D

I guess there's canned food, too...

Or, more seriously, I suppose you could have food preservation spells?
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

I'm willing to bet that food will be used quicker than it would spoil. With diseases it might be best to carry around some alcoholic beverages instead of trusting water supplies (given the chance of getting a disease.) Liquid is quite heavy and thereby reduce the amount of spoils that can be carried back to ye olde shopkeeper.

I can see how BW could use food/liquid to very easily make things more difficult than just get enough food to not starve. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some twists to this food/water requirement than just starvation prevention.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!