Level caps...

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Cal
Apprentice

Level caps...

Post by Cal »

I confess I know very little about coding, but isn't it possible to make experience levels open-ended, rather than stopping at 20, or 40, or whatever it is dependent on the game you're playing?
Maelstrom
Steward

Re: Level caps...

Post by Maelstrom »

Cal wrote:I confess I know very little about coding, but isn't it possible to make experience levels open-ended, rather than stopping at 20, or 40, or whatever it is dependent on the game you're playing?
It depends how Basilisk has coded the current game. It could be very simple or require a near complete re-write of the engine.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

We have a fairly open-ended system in Book I and players could advance as high as they want. However, we have a plan for the series:

Book I has levels 1-20 (21 is just considered a "bonus" level for Book I)

For Book II, the level cap is 30. Levels 1-20 are the same as Book I, while levels 21 - 30 are "Elite Levels".

For Book III, the level progression is the same as the first 2 games, but with the addition of levels 31-40 which will be "Divine Levels".

To answer you original question, Cal: the reason many games cap levels is for balance purposes. Creating numerous upper experience levels make the game's development longer and testing/balancing much more tedious.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

31 - 40? You you're stopping before 42? :( Douglas Adams would be ashamed. :mrgreen:
frogbeard
Initiate

Re:

Post by frogbeard »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:For Book II, the level cap is 30. Levels 1-20 are the same as Book I, while levels 21 - 30 are "Elite Levels".
I believe I read in another post about the possibility of importing your character from Book I into Book II. Would importing a lvl 20 character then cause you to "miss" the content from Book II designed to get you to level 20? Or is Book II designed with a starting character level of 20?
"Coin collecting's a lot like life; it stopped being fun a long time ago" - Homer
VPeric
Steward

Re: Re:

Post by VPeric »

frogbeard wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:For Book II, the level cap is 30. Levels 1-20 are the same as Book I, while levels 21 - 30 are "Elite Levels".
I believe I read in another post about the possibility of importing your character from Book I into Book II. Would importing a lvl 20 character then cause you to "miss" the content from Book II designed to get you to level 20? Or is Book II designed with a starting character level of 20?
You must've read wrong, because BW has stated multiple times he will not allow importing of characters. :)
Jinx
Apprentice

Re: Re:

Post by Jinx »

VPeric wrote:
frogbeard wrote:
You must've read wrong, because BW has stated multiple times he will not allow importing of characters. :)
While I totally agree on not allowing a character import, it would be nice to allow SOME form of import, perhaps it would let you start with 5-10 skill points in something, a title, or something that would be a little booster to make the first couple hours of play a little easier for the diehard fans. In other words, a reward for having finished Book I.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Or perhaps you could start with some of your weapons or items - or skills?
Asgard The Elder
Senior Steward

Post by Asgard The Elder »

Was reading through this post and the replys. I like the idea of more levels per game in progression.. Importing characters does not really mater to me. I am on my 4th run through book 1 and have had fun generating characters just to see what would happen if?
The Wizard Works Wonders to Behold