Will Book II run on older graphic cards?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Athanasius
Initiate

Will Book II run on older graphic cards?

Post by Athanasius »

Hello,

as the resolution for Book II will most likely be 1024*768 - can you already say if this resolution will also run fast on older AGP Graphic cards like the Radeon 9600? How much RAM should you have?

Thanks and keep up the great work!
macdude22
Council Member

Re: Will Book II run on older graphic cards?

Post by macdude22 »

I would imagine the 9600 should run it fine, I think the 9600 has decent Open GL support.
Getharn
Marshall

Post by Getharn »

Book I runs fine on even my Mac Mini, but I've no idea if Book II will do. I've got a PC with an ATI XTX1950, which I'd hope would cope, but would be a shame to not hear the music over the whining fans...
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

Getharn wrote:Book I runs fine on even my Mac Mini, but I've no idea if Book II will do. I've got a PC with an ATI XTX1950, which I'd hope would cope, but would be a shame to not hear the music over the whining fans...
As I understand, the new engine has been optimized and will work no worse than Book I did despite the higher resolution (and might even work better!). BW said something like that, but I can't find the exact quote just now.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:If those cards work with Book I, then they should work with Book II. Book II has a much more optimized engine and although the game is significantly more detailed, it actually uses less system resources to run.
Here. :mrgreen:

That being said, I'm currently running Book I on an older Pentium 4 laptop with the "ancient" Radeon 7500 gpu and most areas I get a performance index of 10ish. There's some definite slowdown in the tangletree forest (goes up to ~19), but I figured that was because of all the trees being drawn.