Book II Questions Thread

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Book II Questions Thread

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Saxon1974 wrote:I think my ADD is going to struggle with the 1 question per week :(
I'm like this too, Saxon1974. I see questions here that I would love to just "spill the beans" about what we have planned, but knowing that until we have certain features up and running I better not say anything. :|
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Yeliu
Apprentice

Post by Yeliu »

Will we be able to ride horses to move faster and add a charge attack?

If you added horses, then you'd have to worry about their hunger and thirst as well, which I really like the idea of. I think the hunger and thirst idea is awesome!

Also, having unique horses (some faster, some resistant, some more camel-like (didn't need as much water, &c) ) would rock!
pdaviesoz
Pledge

Post by pdaviesoz »

Will we be able to import previous characters from Book 1?
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Ok Basilisk....

Are we going to see teirs as in different levels to each skill? Like if we have two skills at certain level will a new skill become available to the character?
confused1
Apprentice

Post by confused1 »

When does (or will there even be?) closed/open beta start? And tying into it, how are you going to select people to test? Sorry if this isn't an okay question to ask.
If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Basilisk already answered this one. When the Beta testing is ready to commence he will make a mass mailing for an invitation to all registered forum members. So make sure you have an up to date email addy. Questimatiing, it will be somewhere close to the end of the year or the beginning of next year. I'm sure he'll ask, like last time. For PC owners, then Mac owners and last but not least Linux users. Some of us with two or more may try for all. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Asgard The Elder
Senior Steward

Post by Asgard The Elder »

I have a thought about the loot that is available. Every encounter with a wepon carying adversary should have at least that wepon show up as loot even if it were only wepon fragments. Turn wepon fragments over to the blacksmith for 1 gold. It doesn't have to be much but there should be something there after every battle.

This could work against the character as well as for. The weight penelty for several heavy things could be huge.

Just a thought in passing.
The Wizard Works Wonders to Behold
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Asgard The Elder wrote:I have a thought about the loot that is available. Every encounter with a wepon carying adversary should have at least that wepon show up as loot even if it were only wepon fragments. Turn wepon fragments over to the blacksmith for 1 gold. It doesn't have to be much but there should be something there after every battle.

This could work against the character as well as for. The weight penelty for several heavy things could be huge.

Just a thought in passing.

oooh! Nasty! :D I like it. :lol:
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Since there is going to be a food/water requirement. Creatures like raptors, bats and others could be sources of food. If in the desert cactus can be cut for water.

Streams and rivers can be used to fill water flasks. Some streams or wells could be contaminated causing disease. The water source could be poisoned.

Will this be possible in Book II?
History is written by the winners!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Since we are going to be able to pick female avatar pics, will there be a few small quests for just females to do and vice versa of course to be fair. If not, that's okay too.
confused1
Apprentice

Post by confused1 »

I know are characters can't be imported. However, what if you implemented a Book I game save check and if they have a save file where they finished the game, Book II's difficulty will increase by how well/fast they beat the game. Does that sound feasible?
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

That's only reasonable for people who like finishing games as fast as possible and think that that's a virtue, confused1. On the other hand, many people (myself included) like to take as long as possible to finish a game, explore every area, do every quest etc. That's just as valid. Different people play games different ways and, in fact, I can imagine game developers becoming frustrated if no-one ever bothers to do any of the little wrinkles, quests etc that they've taken so much care to work out and put into the game. :)

Edit: in fact, the best way to finish the game as fast as possible is to get a walkthough or guide and follow that, ignoring all side quests. I think most people here would agree that's the worst way to play a game. Having said that, though, there are some people here who seem to want just that... :(
confused1
Apprentice

Post by confused1 »

I didn't mean to make Book II easier, I meant make it harder in Book II for the people who beat Book I based on how many quests,people killed, etc.
Back to questions, will there be difficulty levels? I like mine insanely difficult.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

The problem comes in balancing the game and how long do you want the game to be in development. Book II is suppose to cover levels 1-30. It is easier for the developler to start everyone at the same level and jack up the difficulty as the character plays. Having different difficulty levels means more balancing problems, more development time and a lot more beta testing!

BW could make all characters in Book II start at level 20 and plan the quests and encounters based on that level. But that would make it tough on newcomers to crpgs.

If you want Book II to appeal to the most gamers, let it start at level 1 that way newcomers can get their feet wet. The old-timers will sit back and enjoy the ride. Basilisk Games can make expansions that require higher or elite character levels to satisfy those with masochistic tendencies. Hopefully by Book III tools will be available to allow us to create our own adventures to share with each other much like NeverWinter Nights 1 and 2.
History is written by the winners!
Asgard The Elder
Senior Steward

Post by Asgard The Elder »

Randomizer wrote:In one of the screen shots it mentions in the text below that you pick up a powder keg.

Will you now be able to place objects on the floor instead of just containers? If you can place objects on the floor this would make it possible to place a powder keg and retreat to a safe distance so you can detonate the powder keg as your enemies approach it (watch them die as it explodes).

Also if you are hit with a powder keg in inventory, will it detonate?

How about placing the powder keg next to a pesky treasure chest or door you can't open? will it help?

Just to add to Randomizers Questions on the use of a powder Kegs.
The Wizard Works Wonders to Behold