Beta Testing

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
sjaffe
Apprentice

Beta Testing

Post by sjaffe »

Now that Book II has been officially announced, when will you be looking for beta testers, and how can I become one? :D
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Beta Testing

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Beta testing is scheduled to begin in January. That's a long ways away, so we'll keep everyone informed on the progress.

We'll post a sign-up sheet in the News page when we are ready for some help.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Please make it an email annoucement to the people registered to this forum.
I would very much be annoyed to miss the date by a few days by forgetting to log in my favorite forums ;-)

Great screenshot BTW. I love to see a native Ubuntu 8 running.

Great job as always.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

I second the request for an email notification. I only have dial-up at home which means that I only read these forums when I'm at the library or some other place where I have a high speed connection.

Btw, I've been playing Neverwinter Nights 2 for the last couple of weeks. There's no comparison - Eschalon: Book I is a superior game in many respects including the GUI. NWN has so many bugs in it, and problems, that I think it's nearly unplayable. I'm soooo looking forward to Eschalon: Book II !!!!!
farvardin
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by farvardin »

I'd like to get an email notification when the beta test will begin. I'd be happy to test it on linux (debian).
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Everyone just need to make sure your email address in your profile here on the forums is accurate. I'll do a mass message to all forum members for all major announcements.
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Everyone just need to make sure your email address in your profile here on the forums is accurate. I'll do a mass message to all forum members for all major announcements.
Well, that's good. And, thank you.

But, I wish to point out that finding the profile here on the forums isn't easy unless you know to look under "User Control Panel". I only knew it because I've installed and administered other phpBB boards. Also, the email address doesn't appear on the profile page, nor does the profile page provide a means of changing the email address, as far as I can see unless it's in a non-obvious and non-standard place.
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

User control panel -> profile -> edit profile settings :)
Omensinger
Initiate

Post by Omensinger »

It would be nice if anyone who bought Book I gets a slot to test Book 2
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Remember that beta testing requires discipline and commitment. You have to be able to play and record any bugs you find . Also make notes and suggestions on general gameplay and design choices in a timely fashion. As a beta tester you will have to adhere to a time schedule. If you have a busy work or home life being a beta tester may not be conducive to your life.

Which is why everyone cannot be a beta tester. Also most designers know they may lose a few beta testers along the way so they will keep a back up pool to replace testers that are lost for whatever reason.

If anyone feels they have the time and discipline to do beta testing, then by all means answer the call for beta testers. But realistically ask yourself can you do it. Your input will shape the final product.
History is written by the winners!
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

realmzmaster wrote:Remember that beta testing requires discipline and commitment. You have to be able to play and record any bugs you find . Also make notes and suggestions on general gameplay and design choices in a timely fashion. As a beta tester you will have to adhere to a time schedule. If you have a busy work or home life being a beta tester may not be conducive to your life.

Which is why everyone cannot be a beta tester. Also most designers know they may lose a few beta testers along the way so they will keep a back up pool to replace testers that are lost for whatever reason.

If anyone feels they have the time and discipline to do beta testing, then by all means answer the call for beta testers. But realistically ask yourself can you do it. Your input will shape the final product.
I'm a "retired" computer programmer, have plenty of free time, well organized, have not only played but designed computer games, and was well known at my jobs for being able to find bugs that no one else can find. Yet, I'm never selected for beta testing. For some software/games I shrug it off as the company not being interested in Mac beta testers... but when it's games being released on the Mac first (or simultaneously) it puzzles me... and then after the game gets released, and I start sending in bug reports, I get nasty messages back... I'm not saying *this* company has done that but others have. It makes a person very frustrated... For example, the number of bugs I've found in the Mac version of Neverwinter Nights 2 makes me wonder how it EVER got released!! But that's a story for another time...

Anyway, I've already mentioned I'm interested in beta testing Eschalon: Book II and maybe this time, I'll get selected... and then you'll be sorry.... :-)
Yeliu
Apprentice

Post by Yeliu »

I'm aware this isn't really the place, but I wanted to mention it just because I believe it is a valid point. Everyone wants to beta test, not necessarily because they enjoy finding bugs, but because they get to try out the new software or game a few months early. This really isn't what beta testing is about. It's hard work and requires dedication and thought for valid and useful ideas and thoughts as well as reporting the bugs.

BasiliskWrangler, I would be willing to put in the hours and commitment needed, and return lots of helpful feedback for the Macintosh platform. I am a Mac developer as well as a graphics designer. I work a lot, which is why I don't post much on forums, however, I really enjoy well-built RPG games, and Eschalon is my favorite. Good luck on Eschalon II, I'm looking forward to it.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

sjaffe,

My reply was not aimed at you specifically. My post was to anyone who is thinking about beta testing. The intent was to let people know that this is not a way to get free software or get a peek at the latest new game. If you are going to beta test be prepare to put in the time and work. Beta testing is a commitment. The designer is counting on beta testers to find the mistakes, design issues and platform specific issues.
Yeliu wrote: It's hard work and requires dedication and thought for valid and useful ideas and thoughts as well as reporting the bugs.
As Yeliu said this is the essence of beta testing. If you apply for beta testing you have to sell your credentials to BW and his team. The final decision on who gets to beta tests rest with them.

I do not have to tell anyone that designers remember who drops out of beta testing without a valid reason or without contacting the designer.

But as I said if you have the time and discipline, by all means volunteer.
History is written by the winners!
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

realmzmaster wrote:sjaffe,

My reply was not aimed at you specifically. My post was to anyone who is thinking about beta testing. The intent was to let people know that this is not a way to get free software or get a peek at the latest new game. If you are going to beta test be prepare to put in the time and work. Beta testing is a commitment. The designer is counting on beta testers to find the mistakes, design issues and platform specific issues.
Ain't that the truth. I beta tested Nethergate: Resurrection (one of my favorite SW games). I swore up and down if I ever saw a Celt again in my life it would be too soon. In beta testing you're not playing for fun, you're playing to play every which way you can to make sure any combination of anything doesn't cause a crash or a bug or misspellings or break the game script. When the email came around offering Avernum 5 beta testing to previous testers I said no thanks, I'm looking forward to this game and I just want to enjoy it. That said if you're up to it it can be a very rewarding experience.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I had about a 50% drop-out rate when testing Book I, and out of those who actively stayed in for the duration, only about 20% made it all the way to the end of the game.

Beta testing sucks. People want a free copy of the game and to see their name in the credits, but they don't realize that it means 3-4 weeks of playing the game over and over. A major bug could mean sending out a new version that all testers have to start over with, which is understandably frustrating to everyone. Also, I require feedback at least every-other day even if it's just: Made it to Blackwater. No bugs to report. That means if a tester is not putting a little time in the game almost every night, they are going to fall behind.

For Book II I will likely offer a cash bonus to testers who stay in for the duration of the test and play the game to the end (a password at the end of the game would be given so that I know the tester actually made it). Hopefully this will encourage people to take testing more seriously and stay with it.