Multiplayer support for Book II ?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Poxx
Initiate

Multiplayer support for Book II ?

Post by Poxx »

Hi BW,

Will there be multiplayer support in Book II ? I would love to play this game together with my girlfriend.
It does not have to be internet multiplayer, but might as well implement that at the same time. I understand if this is too big a change but this could lay the foundations for Book III internet multiplayer gaming, with regular updates to maps etc. Perhaps even a MMO ( more like a MUD ) in later stages !
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Multiplayer support for Book II ?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

At this time, no.

None of our games will ever support "multiple" players, however we have talked about future games having simple "co-op" support where 1 computer could link to another via an IP address (over LAN or Internet) and 2 people could participate in the same game. The benefit to this setup over MMO-style support is that no remote server is needed, no subscription is needed, and overall the technology is simpler...just type in your friend's IP address and begin playing.

This is not something that will happen now, but it is something that we are considering for future games (after Book II).
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Zerikin
Initiate

Post by Zerikin »

Good co-op games are hard to come by. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Thom, can I make a suggest. There is an old game I some times play called Demise. Good hack and slash old style game. Single player, and Multiplayer available. Months of play time, too. Anyways. On this games install, it gives you the game, plus a game server. This allows you to have your own local server loop, or with a static IP address have a internet based server for other remote players. Gives lots of gaming options for those who wish to team up. Though I am in agreance that it doesn't match up with Books I - III.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Poxx
Initiate

Post by Poxx »

Yes , co-op is what I hoped for :)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I've played Demise as a single player and an older version, Avatar, as a multiplayer. It works because it's just straight hack and slash. The quests are all find an item or kill a monster with them both being replaced at fixed intervals. A much different type of game than Eschalon.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I played Baldur's Gate 2 back in the day with a buddy of mine and it kind of sucked. I like playing RPG's for the story, and he likes playing them to hack 'n slash. He kept wanting to whip through the dialogue that I was trying to read. >.<
skaldicpoet9
Initiate

Post by skaldicpoet9 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:At this time, no.

None of our games will ever support "multiple" players, however we have talked about future games having simple "co-op" support where 1 computer could link to another via an IP address (over LAN or Internet) and 2 people could participate in the same game. The benefit to this setup over MMO-style support is that no remote server is needed, no subscription is needed, and overall the technology is simpler...just type in your friend's IP address and begin playing.

This is not something that will happen now, but it is something that we are considering for future games (after Book II).

Oh man, I really hope you guys implement this in the future for sure O_o

My girlfriend would love that (as would I of course lol).
csharp0
Initiate

Post by csharp0 »

this multiplayer feature might be good for that ninja game i am hoping for in the future. ninjas against samurai, against other ninja clans, or same team of ninjas.
Lack of clever wit.