Expansions/DLC for Book II?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Sslaxx
Council Member

Expansions/DLC for Book II?

Post by Sslaxx »

I know you were planning to provide an expansion pack for Book I (pity that failed), but are you planning on doing anything similar for Book II?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Expansions/DLC for Book II?

Post by IJBall »

Sslaxx wrote:I know you were planning to provide an expansion pack for Book I (pity that failed), but are you planning on doing anything similar for Book II?
I'm not BW ( :wink: ), and I can't answer your specific question, but I would refer you to this earlier post from BW:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Ultimately, Book II will be a bit better at handling updates than Book I was. So, if the game ships and there is some feature (such as Skill Imbuing) that doesn't make it in before we go gold, there is always the possibility of adding it afterward via a patch. I do plan on offering a few "bonus content" patches in the months after the game ships to keep interest up (and thus revenue flow) while we work on Book III.
This doesn't answer your question directly, but it does imply that Book II will be more 'moddable', which means it sounds like expansions may(should?) be possible.

The open issue is whether BW may release a rudimentary "editor" for Book II, even to just a select knowledgeable few around here (and, by this, I mean people who actually know programming, as I don't think a rudimentary editor could be used by anybody but people with those skills...), so that we can get some 3rd-party expansions for Book II from fans on this board during the wait for Book III. I suspect the answer is no, but I think the idea has been brought up here in the past...
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I have no problem with a company releasing purchasable DLC if its things like add on areas or quests. What I dont like is when you encounter an area in a game and it mentions you have to purchase the content to unlock it like Dragon Age did.

I think it would be great if Basilisk release some additional area DLC's after releasing Book II.

I know these indy companies operate on very small budget and each sale could be a make or break scenario so I think something like that makes sense.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Saxon1974 wrote:I have no problem with a company releasing purchasable DLC if its things like add on areas or quests. What I dont like is when you encounter an area in a game and it mentions you have to purchase the content to unlock it like Dragon Age did.

I think it would be great if Basilisk release some additional area DLC's after releasing Book II.

I know these indy companies operate on very small budget and each sale could be a make or break scenario so I think something like that makes sense.
What difference does it make if it mentions it in the game itself or you see adds for it eslewhere...ignore if you don't want it.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Rune_74 wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:I have no problem with a company releasing purchasable DLC if its things like add on areas or quests. What I dont like is when you encounter an area in a game and it mentions you have to purchase the content to unlock it like Dragon Age did.

What difference does it make if it mentions it in the game itself or you see adds for it eslewhere...ignore if you don't want it.
Because it breaks the immersion for me big time. When an NPC says "Hey I have a quest for you, click here to purchase it", that really kills the mood for me and it feels like content was left out of the game intentionally.

There seems to be many varying opinions on this topic though.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I definitely agree with the annoyance of the in-game-add-on-self-advertisements. Next thing that'll happen is in-game commercials... the screen goes black, and you'll be expecting an awesome cutscene... but it'll end up being an ad for extra game content. "But wait, there's more! Buy now and we'll throw in the potato slicer absolutely free!!"

Besides, DLC = Nickle-and-Dime tactics with most major developers. The amount of extra content is rarely worth the price of admission. Just look at Oblivion with their Horse armor... =P
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Book 1 was supposed to have an add-on quest. It never materialized because of limitations in the original engine design.

Book 2 will better support additional content. If and when we offer such content, it will not be through in-game advertising. It will simply be a new 6-10 hour adventure designed for players who have developed high-level characters looking for a new challenge. The new content will not be balanced for low-level characters.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Book 1 was supposed to have an add-on quest. It never materialized because of limitations in the original engine design.

Book 2 will better support additional content. If and when we offer such content, it will not be through in-game advertising. It will simply be a new 6-10 hour adventure designed for players who have developed high-level characters looking for a new challenge. The new content will not be balanced for low-level characters.

Very nice, and Thank you. Now, to get the game and level up! :)
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Book 2 will better support additional content. If and when we offer such content, it will not be through in-game advertising. It will simply be a new 6-10 hour adventure designed for players who have developed high-level characters looking for a new challenge. The new content will not be balanced for low-level characters.
Good to hear! In-game advertising for add-ons just sounds crass to me.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.