Book II CD or DVD

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Book II CD or DVD

Post by King_ov_Death »

We know there will be two different book II releases: a digital download and a physical edition.

Well, my question is:
What extra features will it have?
Taking into account the extras in Book I's CD, I'll bet it will be the following:
  • Hi-res map of Eschalon (I think BW confirmed it).
  • Book II teaser.
  • Installation executable/s (I doubt if all three will be included, because then BW will have to use DVDs).
  • Some screens showing the evolution of Book II (I loved that in Book I's CD).
  • An extended version of the title track.
Am I right?
What do you think the CD/DVD edition will have?
Nevermore
Marshall

Re: Book II CD or DVD

Post by Nevermore »

An artwork book, limited edition DLC, soundtrack and developers interview on making process.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Do I remember reading that the CD will contain the Mac version, PC version and Linux version all together, so we don't have to get a new copy if we switch computers? Or am I mistaken?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Evnissyen wrote:Do I remember reading that the CD will contain the Mac version, PC version and Linux version all together, so we don't have to get a new copy if we switch computers? Or am I mistaken?
You sir, are correct.

If you look at the size of Book I and consider the fact that Book II is running on a modified engine... I wouldn't expect the game to be much bigger. Even if it were say... 100% larger... my Book I install dir is 120mb... so that would be 240mb... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

CrazyBernie wrote:
Evnissyen wrote:Do I remember reading that the CD will contain the Mac version, PC version and Linux version all together, so we don't have to get a new copy if we switch computers? Or am I mistaken?
You sir, are correct.

If you look at the size of Book I and consider the fact that Book II is running on a modified engine... I wouldn't expect the game to be much bigger. Even if it were say... 100% larger... my Book I install dir is 120mb... so that would be 240mb... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
I thought all three versions wouldn't fit inside a CD... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

CrazyBernie wrote:... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
A cross-version installer should only need copies of the executables for the different OSes (data and documentation could be shared). Since the program itself is under 2MB for Windows, the disc space required for a triple-install (Win/Mac/Linux) should be under 30-40MB, even assuming book 2's executable was 3-4 times the size of book 1.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

AstralWanderer wrote:
CrazyBernie wrote:... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
A cross-version installer should only need copies of the executables for the different OSes (data and documentation could be shared). Since the program itself is under 2MB for Windows, the disc space required for a triple-install (Win/Mac/Linux) should be under 30-40MB, even assuming book 2's executable was 3-4 times the size of book 1.
Wow! I didn't think about that. It's a pretty good idea AW! :wink:
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Speaking of the CD Version will the options for the purchase of Book II be the same as Book I - if my memory serves me correctly you had 2 purchase options

1) Digital Download only
2) CD version with Digital Download until CD was shipped.

will it be the same ?
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Iane wrote:Speaking of the CD Version will the options for the purchase of Book II be the same as Book I - if my memory serves me correctly you had 2 purchase options

1) Digital Download only
2) CD version with Digital Download until CD was shipped.

will it be the same ?
Yes.

Take a look here.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Book II is going to be distributed a bit differently from Book I. We are going a more traditional shareware route, like Spiderweb Software. Instead of having a separate demo and full version, you will just download the demo which can be unlocked into the full version using a registration number. When you purchase the game, Plimus (or Share*it) will send you a Registration code via email to unlock the game.

When you buy the CD version, you'll still get a Registration number. You can download the demo and unlock it to play the full game immediately, or you can wait for your CD to arrive. The CD will still require your Registration number, so be sure to hang on to your receipt email, because the CD will not have the Reg number printed on the case.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:...When you purchase the game, Plimus (or Share*it) will...
Does this mean that Book II won't be made available via BTMicro? This would be a great pity since Plimus stopped me from purchasing Book I and Share*it (part of Digital River) have given me problems several times in the past (alleging that my valid credit card "could not be processed").
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

AstralWanderer wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:...When you purchase the game, Plimus (or Share*it) will...
Does this mean that Book II won't be made available via BTMicro? This would be a great pity since Plimus stopped me from purchasing Book I and Share*it (part of Digital River) have given me problems several times in the past (alleging that my valid credit card "could not be processed").
Oops! Sorry, I meant BMT Micro. I said Share*it becasue I was looking at it last week, but no, we are staying with Plimus and BMT Micro.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:...we are staying with Plimus and BMT Micro.
Thanks for the clarification - phew! :)
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:When you buy the CD version, you'll still get a Registration number. You can download the demo and unlock it to play the full game immediately, or you can wait for your CD to arrive. The CD will still require your Registration number, so be sure to hang on to your receipt email, because the CD will not have the Reg number printed on the case.
Since I came a bit late to this game (i.e. Book I had been out for some time), I am wondering if the CD version is purchased, does it come in a CD/DVD style case, or is it simply in a paper sleeve?

I also, wondered if there were plans on making a compilation CD with both games on it, and if so would there be any sort of discount for those that already own both games?

It would be nice to have both on CD! :)
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Faithful wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:When you buy the CD version, you'll still get a Registration number. You can download the demo and unlock it to play the full game immediately, or you can wait for your CD to arrive. The CD will still require your Registration number, so be sure to hang on to your receipt email, because the CD will not have the Reg number printed on the case.
Since I came a bit late to this game (i.e. Book I had been out for some time), I am wondering if the CD version is purchased, does it come in a CD/DVD style case, or is it simply in a paper sleeve?

I also, wondered if there were plans on making a compilation CD with both games on it, and if so would there be any sort of discount for those that already own both games?

It would be nice to have both on CD! :)
1) As far as I know, the CD version comes inside a case.
2) I think BW said that when Book III comes out, he will release a "Special/Collector's Edition" of some sorts featuring all three games.