Great timing, Unbe!

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Unbeliever
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Great timing, Unbe!

Post by Unbeliever »

Yeah, a week to go-live, and I *FINALLY* have a good idea. Maybe it can be done as part of an update... or maybe for Book 3...

The idea is: You should have a "Lost & Found" character (or store)!

i.e. If the game detects that you have killed a quest-item-giving monster (or opened a quest-item-giving chest...) but lost/misplaced the quest item before using it, the "Lost & Found" character/store could give it back to you (possibly with some cost).

[If the item still exists elsewhere in the world, the Lost & Found could delete it from that location when creating it for you. And of course, you'd have to be sure the character didn't already USE said item, if it was a one-use thing, like a key or potion.]

This would help stupid/clumsy players (like me), and ALSO provide a workaround in case an important item doesn't get created properly.

I remember my first time through Eschalon I, I managed to kill (I forget who... some goblin king?) who was supposed to have a key, and SOMEHOW, didn't. (Or I managed to spectacularly lose it.) You had to edit my game save to get it back for me... A "Lost & Found" woulda been most useful. :)

*SHRUG* Just a thought. Sorry for having it so late... :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Great timing, Unbe!

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This is actually a really great idea, Unbeliever!

But I see it like this: down a long, dark trail through an ancient forest is the cottage of an frail, old sorceress. You can go to her to recover lost quest items- for a fee. She may permanently take 2 points of your Strength, or 15 hit points, or curse you in some way. :twisted: But, you never have to worry about lost quest items stopping you from completing your game.

Yes, far too late to do with Book II, but I will add it to Book III's idea pile.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Love it, but I would say it should be a point of two of intelligence. The witch's sense of humor for a player who stupidly loses quest items. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

It is a fantastic idea!

And I particularly like the permanent loss of a couple points in intelligence or some other stat. But I think for items with importance on par with the Crux of Ages the Sorceress should additionally go on a tirade calling the player's character all sorts of humbling names and possibly turn him into a rabbit for couple of game days to think about what he has done.
Unbeliever
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Unbeliever »

Nononono, see, you guys aren't seeing the big picture.

The Lost & Found is run by that most horrid of creatures -- the bureaucrat. King of his own little pond. (And the only completely unkillable monster in the game.)

Before he'll even TALK to you, you'll be required to pay a fee, then fill out five forms -- in triplicate. (Who are you? How old are you? Where were you born? What are you looking for? Include an essay that must be PRECISELY 100 words long, with no typos, describing what you will do with this object and why you need it.) And place each color-coded copy of each form into the proper Inbox.

Then wait a game-week.

If he actually has what you're LOOKING for, you must then correctly answer ten trivia questions about events in the game so far, to prove your identity. And you must get three other bureaucrats (from three other cities) to vouch for your character. And each of THOSE bureaucrats have their own fees, rules, forms and requirements.

Only after you correctly, UNERRINGLY, complete the entire bureaucratic maze (any mistakes, and you must start over from scratch!), will you finally (grudgingly) be given the lost object.

And THAT'S when you lose two intelligence points for having successfully survived the ordeal. :)

(And possibly get an unflattering adjective added to your title, i.e. "John the Idiot Archer".)

:) :) :)
Grayth
Initiate

Post by Grayth »

That would be epic.

How would you know what you missed? That would be part of the paperwork. Or possibly being placed in a dark room, with lights in your eyes, men in black trenchcoats and helicopters...but I digress.

Maybe if you filled out the paperwork incorrectly or answered questions wrong you would be given the wrong item and be required to go through the process again.

...about that time you would be replacing your monitor. :twisted:
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
s4br3
Apprentice

Post by s4br3 »

Yikes! If I had to do all of that, I would just edit the save files! :D

Sounds like a good idea, but not the bureaucrat thing. There should be consequences, but not that painful. :D Reality should not intrude on my fantasy fun. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Insufficient Data for Meaningful Answer.
Dies a Lot
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dies a Lot »

Unbeliever wrote:Nononono, see, you guys aren't seeing the big picture.

The Lost & Found is run by that most horrid of creatures -- the bureaucrat. King of his own little pond. (And the only completely unkillable monster in the game.)

Before he'll even TALK to you, you'll be required to pay a fee, then fill out five forms -- in triplicate. (Who are you? How old are you? Where were you born? What are you looking for? Include an essay that must be PRECISELY 100 words long, with no typos, describing what you will do with this object and why you need it.) And place each color-coded copy of each form into the proper Inbox.

Then wait a game-week.

If he actually has what you're LOOKING for, you must then correctly answer ten trivia questions about events in the game so far, to prove your identity. And you must get three other bureaucrats (from three other cities) to vouch for your character. And each of THOSE bureaucrats have their own fees, rules, forms and requirements.

Only after you correctly, UNERRINGLY, complete the entire bureaucratic maze (any mistakes, and you must start over from scratch!), will you finally (grudgingly) be given the lost object.

And THAT'S when you lose two intelligence points for having successfully survived the ordeal. :)

(And possibly get an unflattering adjective added to your title, i.e. "John the Idiot Archer".)

:) :) :)

I work for the government and you just described my life for the last 40 odd years. :shock: :cry: So, I certainly don't want this in any game that I play. :lol: Thank (whatever you believe in) that I'm retiring at the end of this year. :D :lol: :mrgreen: