Save/Load rules

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Ojisan
Steward

Save/Load rules

Post by Ojisan »

I find it a bit strange that you cannot load while being in combat etc. I sure see it why restricting save during combat would add challenge, but restriction to load some old savefile does seem to be only irritating, since you can just exit game and load it anyway...
All this restriction seems to achieve, is forcing player to load through exiting game/ to main menu :shock: .
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Save/Load rules

Post by Randomizer »

The idea was to avoid going back to replay a mistake. Wandering around and suddenly finding yourself in battle because you were in walk mode and didn't stop in time to fight the monster.

You can get around it as you said with the extra step.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Sorry, but I think this is really going to frustrate me. As well as lots of other players, I'm sure. I hope this issue is fixed before the Mac version is released.

In Book I, I'm always running into the situation you describe, and sometimes I don't have enough health or whatever. If, for some reason, I can't make a break for the exit or otherwise get away, I usually reload my previous saved game. Why artificially restrict the player like that?
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

MyGameCompany wrote:Sorry, but I think this is really going to frustrate me. As well as lots of other players, I'm sure. I hope this issue is fixed before the Mac version is released.

In Book I, I'm always running into the situation you describe, and sometimes I don't have enough health or whatever. If, for some reason, I can't make a break for the exit or otherwise get away, I usually reload my previous saved game. Why artificially restrict the player like that?
I'm not sure....um...I can reload if I die? so if things go bad and you die reload your game....
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

Yeah, I see what he's saying. Restricting SAVING during combat adds to the challenge and makes sense. Restricting LOADING during combat doesn't add to challenge, it just forces you to waste time if things go poorly in combat. If the restriction was a full-fledged roguelike permadeath type restriction then it would make sense... it's not.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

MyGameCompany wrote:Sorry, but I think this is really going to frustrate me. As well as lots of other players, I'm sure. I hope this issue is fixed before the Mac version is released.

It's just a challenge...it makes the game harder for players who want it. It is an optional rule, and you can disable it to make the game exactly like Book I.

Having said that, like others point out- it only takes two extra clicks to leave the game, go to the main menu, and reload from there.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

You can't reload or save in combat AND when you are sick (and cursed ?).
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

ManusDei wrote:You can't reload or save in combat AND when you are sick (and cursed ?).
Yeah ... that rule is a bit harsh. I got Troll Fever on me and couldn't get it off ... lost hours of progress when I had to exit the game and couldn't save. Heh.
Ihsan
Apprentice

Post by Ihsan »

I actually thought that one of the save/load rules was going to be 'save and exit'. Meaning you couldnt spam save, and everything you did stuck (including death). The system they have in place is much more forgiving. Great work on letting people choose their rules though Basilisk, many more games should have this option- rather then just dumbing stuff down.
golgepapaz
Apprentice

Post by golgepapaz »

Drixx wrote: Yeah ... that rule is a bit harsh. I got Troll Fever on me and couldn't get it off ... lost hours of progress when I had to exit the game and couldn't save. Heh.
Yeah there should be a save on exit option... what if my boss comes into the room, or my wife says," i think the baby is coming !!!!" .. it's very annoying
when you are diseased or low on hp and the real life kicks in.
Luzur
Apprentice

Post by Luzur »

and while were at it, where does the savegames go? i checked the ordinary place (C:/wndiws/my documents etc)but found no savegame folder.

is it packed inside the datapack file?

btw, i am playing the demo.
---------------------------------------------
Collector of CRPG's and Commodore computers.
Ojisan
Steward

Post by Ojisan »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: It's just a challenge...it makes the game harder for players who want it. It is an optional rule, and you can disable it to make the game exactly like Book I.

Having said that, like others point out- it only takes two extra clicks to leave the game, go to the main menu, and reload from there.
Well exactly, my point is that this "challenge" consists of " it only takes two extra clicks".

On other hand ive seen recently another developer restrict max fps in his game and make part of it intentionally laggy, to make it fair for ppl with old PC's, as they were lagging anyway...

So its definitely doesnt hold top score in "strange game design".

Anyway im not trying to bash you or something, i just pointed out that for me that looked really odd, but i can live with that :peace: .
Tecknomage
Apprentice

Post by Tecknomage »

Book-2 save-games are in (WinXP) C:\Documents and Settings\your-profile-name\Application Data\Basilisk

By the way, I tried changing the save-game location via the base CFG file, but could not get it to work. Looks like the engineers use non-Windows standard coding that does not accommodate spaces or the Windows path phrasing. Like C:\Documents and Settings\your-profile-name\My Documents\Eschalon Book 2 Save Games (the example in the CFG file uses / vs \ for one thing)

The should have made the save-game location part of the install process.

:wink: As to combat saving, it would be nice to have the OPTION to set "Quick-Save Start of Combat" (?) aka auto-save at start of combat.
Tecknomage
Guild Master
Mages & Fighters Guilds
Luzur
Apprentice

Post by Luzur »

but i am on Vista Ultimate, and ive gone through almost the whole C:/ and windows folders, and all i found was the Eschalon 1 save folder.
---------------------------------------------
Collector of CRPG's and Commodore computers.
Lhoric
Senior Steward

Post by Lhoric »

Saved game location is listed from the start game splash screen. Click on the copyright text from the 'new/load/register/credits/exit' screen and it'll display.

On my Windows 7 system, C:\Users\*myname*\AppData\Roaming\Basilisk Games\Book 2 Saved Games\

I had to turn on 'view invisible folder' option to view the AppData subdirectory.
HTH.

-->> Lhoric