Initial Impression

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
kopema
Initiate

Re: Initial Impression

Post by kopema »

Saxon1974 wrote:And by the way, food does impact your Endurance. Not sure about other stats.
How so? Do different foods do different things? If so, then eating could theoretically have a purpose in the game, but it would be nice if the player had some indication of what foods will do what.

If all you mean is that your character's endurance drops while he's dying of starvation, it's a little hard to see how that makes the process any more interesting.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

After having written my initial impressions about food, being that I was worried about running out in the game, I found that there's plenty. I've never run out and haven't changed my play style. I still explore everything meticulously, although I did have to leave from deep in a dungeon once because I was running too low on water, but it added to the excitement for me. I really like the extra challenges and as long as it's manageable, I'm extremely pleased that food/water challenges are in the game. The variety of food items available keep me interested. I was never very happy in Book 1 finding all sorts of food items that had no meaning. This is much better.

Just like every other aspect of the game, managing resources is fun. You don't complain about running out of arrows for instance. It's just something you manage and adds to the challenge.

I'm having all kinds of fun and wouldn't want to turn off features of this new game just because it's harder.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Buckets wrote:You don't complain about running out of arrows for instance.
Heh, well I would, actually, which is why I never play Ranger-type chars. :) Something for everyone, see!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Sajen wrote:I have to agree the food thing is starting to bug me. I am ok with the water requirement because it lasts a long time and its free to fill up at wells, but food you have to buy (unless you play a magic user apparently) and the food runs out quickly.

I got the foraging skill but it doesn't forage food (oddly enough)! It forages alchemy items. This is one area where I think the design of the game mis-stepped, the forage skill should do as expected and forage food items. As it is now if I start starving in the wilderness then I have to run back to town to buy some more food, that is annoying. If the forage skill instead actually gave food items, then I wouldn't mind the food requirement and would like it as added realism.

So I will probably end up turning the food off because it is starting to detract from my experience in the game.
Actually, finding alchemy items is a side benefit of foraging. Its true purpose is to slow the rate at which your food and thirst bars are reduced.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

The foraging skill has the side benefit of finding reagents which can be sold for money which can be used to buy food etc. Also as CrazyBernie said as you increase the foraging skill you will slow the downward progress of the hunger and thrist bars.
The skill allows you to live off the land.
You do not physically see the food you simply consume it as you find it.
You have the option to set how you want to play the game. BW and all have set up the default rules, but you can change them to make it easier or harder.
Right now I am playing on hardcore and it is challenging, but it is suppose to be that way.
History is written by the winners!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Also, food has no extra benefits other than replenishing your hunger/thirst bars. It doesn't affect your endurance, health, regen rates, etc... unless you count the littles messages as entertainment value. ;)
rekp
Pledge

Re: Initial Impression-food and water

Post by rekp »

also enjoying the game even more than the first book ...

in answer to the food and water issues there are 2 spells available draw water and create food .

saving a hell of a lot of money on my toon .

enjoy
ridcully
Initiate

Post by ridcully »

first i'd like to say, that this game takes off right there, where the first part was a real pleasure to play. lots of minute changes to make a good game even better. what i especially like so far is the city of port kuudad, which reminds me alot of a big city in arcanum -- so much to explore to many things to discover. the mana regeneration keeps my mage going for >8h playing straight now without sleeping one single time and just consuming around 4 flasks of mana-potions and some health in places where is was to bored to wait or where spawning monsters surrounded me. it took me a few dry runs to find a good mage build (even tried a monk -- but this will come in a second playthrough i guess) but now i am happy.

the only thing that bothered me for now is the fact, that i can not click in scrollbars to scroll to that place. but this is plain nitpicking.

this game really is a true successor to book1 and makes me right now anticipate book3 -- it will be even better. the trilogy is already a classic in the making. and as long as there are games like this around: tripple-a can keep there millions worth of what-do-i-know-where-all-the-money-goes.

BW - a true master piece of a rpg. keep them coming. us old schoolers need them in days like this.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

ridcully wrote:...a true master piece of a rpg. keep them coming. us old schoolers need them in days like this.
I completely agree. Nothing matches it. I've been craving these adventure games since I started playing them in the 80's by typing in basic code from books and then playing the adventure. This game is ideal. Keep them coming! This is a masterpiece indeed.