I don't see any value in Alchemy - please explain

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
revjwh
Initiate

I don't see any value in Alchemy - please explain

Post by revjwh »

Okay I took Alchemy at the start for my pure mage.

However, I do not see any ingredients in the wilderness and buying them is more expensive in the end than just buying what they would make?

For example I need Ambergis and Mandrake to make a mana potion - but haven't seen ambergis anywhere.....

I'm level 8 now and doing well with everything else and have yet to use alchemy at all.... what am I missing?

J
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: I don't see any value in Alchemy - please explain

Post by CrazyBernie »

revjwh wrote:Okay I took Alchemy at the start for my pure mage.

However, I do not see any ingredients in the wilderness and buying them is more expensive in the end than just buying what they would make?

For example I need Ambergis and Mandrake to make a mana potion - but haven't seen ambergis anywhere.....

I'm level 8 now and doing well with everything else and have yet to use alchemy at all.... what am I missing?

J
To make the most out of alchemy, you need Foraging. It allows you to find ingredients while camping.
Apoteos
Steward

Post by Apoteos »

You should also make sure your Alchemy level is high enough to mix more potent potions, sadly because of studies and other such unimportant stuff I haven´t had a chance to sit down and properly examine Alchemy, but in Book I, Alchemy was vital to many players and my rogues transformed from wimps to powerhouses after a few skill points and I also want to add that I am sorry for writing this post in a single sentence but since many people tend to hold their breath when confronted to limited punctuation I couldn´t resist the urge to try and suffocate someone remotely which would be awsomely cool so im sure you understand :mrgreen:
The gift of life is so divine
But without death
Life would soon decline
Ladez
Apprentice

Post by Ladez »

Last edited by Ladez on May 10th, 2013, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

you almost had me!!! Luckily I train deep sea foraging to level 10 so I got extra breathing ability ;-)
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
Apoteos
Steward

Post by Apoteos »

Well it seems I failed, but I will get you eventually :twisted:

Hmm... Getting strange images when pondering wireless strangling compared to strangling with a wire...

I guess I shoul stop thinking now :wink:
The gift of life is so divine
But without death
Life would soon decline
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

back to the question now...

Yes, you do need foraging skill, the shopkeepers do have some ingredients but not very many at any one time. Some potions you need high skill in alchemy otherwise you get explosions. :) Foraging of level 10 -14 when I rested got me enough ingredients to get me to the finish. Some are still rare, some you have to figure out which areas on the map get you more of a particular ingredient. I get foraging skill as early as I can, even before getting alchemy and I stockpile the ingredients in my house. Then when alchemy has been learned I can make lots of potions. I'm careful on the mana ones though. The ingredients needed for that are also needed for a couple of other potions. I bought foraging up to 8, read a book to get it to 10 and then found 2 +2 rings of foraging. Everytime I went to sleep I put them on and got lots of ingredients. It's also a good way to get extra cash if you don't want alchemy, just sell your produce. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Personally, I didn't extensively use Alchemy until I got it high enough to make level 3 potions. It really shines near the middle/late game when you can buff your weapons an armor, and sell high level potions for extra cash.

If you want to turn it into a bigger money-maker, start pumping points into mercantile.
AgentTBC
Initiate

Post by AgentTBC »

How many points in alchemy do you need for level II and III potions? I believe it was 5 for level II in Eschalon Book I, but I'm still making level I potions with 5 in this one.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

AgentTBC wrote:How many points in alchemy do you need for level II and III potions? I believe it was 5 for level II in Eschalon Book I, but I'm still making level I potions with 5 in this one.
According to my notes you have to have Level 22 in alchemy to Imbue +3 on weapons, I think I did it at level 18 at least once during the various beta versions but it might have changed in the final version.
sirchet
Apprentice

Post by sirchet »

Dragonlady wrote:According to my notes you have to have Level 22 in alchemy to Imbue +3 on weapons, I think I did it at level 18 at least once during the various beta versions but it might have changed in the final version.
Are we talking permanent +3 on weapons, or temporary buff?
Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

There are no temporary enchantments in alchemy.

Level 3 potions/enchantments have a varied range in skill requirements. Level 3 Healing potions, for instance require a much lower Alchemy skill than level 3 weapon enchantments.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

sirchet wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:According to my notes you have to have Level 22 in alchemy to Imbue +3 on weapons, I think I did it at level 18 at least once during the various beta versions but it might have changed in the final version.
Are we talking permanent +3 on weapons, or temporary buff?
Permanent, so if you can only do +1 or +2 and you have a very good weapon or armor wait until you can do +3. Once it has had a '+' put on you can't change to a higher one later.