Cartography Annoyance

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Re: Cartography Annoyance

Post by silverkitty »

Wouldn't have to stretch the bounds of the storage medium much, though - the .opq file is really just a .png file, and he isn't currently using the alpha channel for anything, so there's a free byte for every square to store a cartography level in :)
markel
Pledge

Post by markel »

Yes after getting Reveal Map i find it strange too. If it boosts your Cartography skill then it means you making map with a higher level of detail.
But then Cartography skill would be useless. I think it should be done this way.
It's not like Reveal Map spell puts surrounding area on paper for you. Actually its more like it forms an image in your mind. And after spell wears off the image is gone. One might say that you can put that image on paper by yourself while spell is still active. And that is exactly where your Cartography skill comes into play.As it is not an easy task to make a good and detailed map.For example: i see a road from my home to work for at least 10 times a week for about 5 years and can form an image with a pretty good detail level in my head easily. But to make a map of that, with correct proportions and distances and angles and stuff...sorry can i have another beer instead? Then we'll have a good use for both skill and spell.

Also i agree that in terms of game design and balance there is a lot of room for improvement. For example i would like to be able to add markers on the map.
I think all this confusion is due to one simple thing, that this definitely great game is missing. Its object description. I like it when objects have general description like this: "This is a common sword.Find something better ASAP"
Fallout 1 and 2 was brilliant in that sense comparing to 3 where they decided to skip item description. And for the spell it is a natural thing to at least describe what that spell do. Of course Fireball is always Fireball, but what about "Sparkling Wonder" or "Gravedigger's Flame"?
Well there is still hope that we can see it in Book III :wink:
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Spell descriptions are available in-game. If you right-click on a spell scroll in a merchant's inventory, the description will be displayed. Once you have learned a spell, right-clicking on it in your spell book will similarly display the description.
eNTi
Initiate

Post by eNTi »

markel wrote: It's not like Reveal Map spell puts surrounding area on paper for you. Actually its more like it forms an image in your mind. And after spell wears off the image is gone. One might say that you can put that image on paper by yourself while spell is still active. And that is exactly where your Cartography skill comes into play.
actually reveal map increases your cartography skill... so pretty moot point.

i just found out about this crap feature, and i think i'll just not play this game any longer. it's such a stupid design decision i could cry. it's just annoying. plain stupid fucking annoying. i refuse to be annoyed by a SINGLE PLAYER GAME. i got enough of this crap in multiplayer games.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

eNTi wrote:i just found out about this crap feature, and i think i'll just not play this game any longer.
You are of course welcome to play or not, as you please, but quitting a game because of one questionable spell seems like a bit of an overreaction. A single point in Cartography is all you need to have a reasonably-useful map drawn for you. I admit that I personally never bother with the spell itself, and only use the Amulet-or-whatever if I happen to come across it pretty early in the game.

Still, to each their own!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

eNTi wrote:i just found out about this crap feature, and i think i'll just not play this game any longer.
If it means so much to you, just cheat and give yourself 11 cartography.