Spelling and grammar

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Birdmon
Initiate

Re: Spelling and grammar

Post by Birdmon »

MrEntity wrote:You people have odd ideas of what constitutes condescension and arrogance.

but here's the correct way to do things."
you need English lessons."
I lack patience.
The fact that these niggardly little mistakes devalue the experience is unfortunate.
Is it really that odd? Thanks for your input MrTroll, now move along. :?
UO
EQ
EQ2
(and that last pos from Brad Mcquaid - VG)
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Sajen wrote:I think it is a great game, but I don't see why a simple spell checker wasn't used to check the text, it would have taken care of a lot of the errors.

Like the most recent one I came across - "wreckless" instead of "reckless".
If you look in the Windows support thread, you will see that many of us have been reporting grammatical errors and typos as we've found them. I'd like to say that most of them would not have been caught by a spell checker because they are real words, like wreckless, meaning without causing or suffering a wreck.

A human editor would be needed to find them all. I'm gladly offering my services (for free) if BW wants to send me the full text of the game. It'd probably spoil the game for me, but I think it's a service I'd be happy to provide. I am a software and manual tester by profession and these things just jump out at me by nature. I care enough about the quality of this game to want to help in any way I can. (I hate to say it, but if I had been selected to beta test, we probably wouldn't have even had this thread. 8) )
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Aye, I'm supporting your efforts, buckets! Maybe you need to send Basilisk Wrangler a PM if you're serious, as a comment made in passing on the forums will most likely not be picked up.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Buckets wrote:If you look in the Windows support thread, you will see that many of us have been reporting grammatical errors and typos as we've found them. I'd like to say that most of them would not have been caught by a spell checker because they are real words, like wreckless, meaning without causing or suffering a wreck.

A human editor would be needed to find them all. I'm gladly offering my services (for free) if BW wants to send me the full text of the game. It'd probably spoil the game for me, but I think it's a service I'd be happy to provide. I am a software and manual tester by profession and these things just jump out at me by nature. I care enough about the quality of this game to want to help in any way I can. (I hate to say it, but if I had been selected to beta test, we probably wouldn't have even had this thread. 8) )
I really don't think "wreckless" is a word. Firefox flags it as misspelled and Dictionary.com doesn't recognize it.

Regardless, you are right about having a human editor. It is also important for the editor to be a native speaker of the language in question. I get the impression that a lot of the text in Eschalon II was written by a non-native speaker of English. There is nothing wrong with that; the story and descriptions are interesting and engaging. It does make an editor who is a native speaker all the more important, though.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Krafen wrote:
Buckets wrote:If you look in the Windows support thread, you will see that many of us have been reporting grammatical errors and typos as we've found them. I'd like to say that most of them would not have been caught by a spell checker because they are real words, like wreckless, meaning without causing or suffering a wreck.

I really don't think "wreckless" is a word. Firefox flags it as misspelled and Dictionary.com doesn't recognize it.

Regardless, you are right about having a human editor. It is also important for the editor to be a native speaker of the language in question. I get the impression that a lot of the text in Eschalon II was written by a non-native speaker of English. There is nothing wrong with that; the story and descriptions are interesting and engaging. It does make an editor who is a native speaker all the more important, though.

You can't find 'wreckless' in the dictionary because it is spelled incorrectly. It is spelled 'reckless'. :wink:

I'd rather have a few incorrect words/useage or punctuation than a bad game. Report the mistakes politely and game on. BW can only do so much and the beta testers did find quite a number of mistakes, but it was easy to miss some of them.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Dragonlady wrote:You can't find 'wreckless' in the dictionary because it is spelled incorrectly. It is spelled 'reckless'. :wink:
Wreckless is found in Wiktionary - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wreckless
wayninja
Apprentice

Post by wayninja »

Buckets wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:You can't find 'wreckless' in the dictionary because it is spelled incorrectly. It is spelled 'reckless'. :wink:
Wreckless is found in Wiktionary - http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wreckless
Yep it's in the wiktionary as:

"Common misspelling of reckless."
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

"Without causing or suffering a wreck."

That's hilarious. It's like someone just started throwing suffixes on the end of words and calling them new words.

I am totally discombobulatedless.
wayninja
Apprentice

Post by wayninja »

CrazyBernie wrote:"Without causing or suffering a wreck."

That's hilarious. It's like someone just started throwing suffixes on the end of words and calling them new words.

I am totally discombobulatedless.
What makes it more funny is with the 'less' suffix on it, it almost becomes the literal opposite of the word it misspells.

Wreckless - without causing a wreck
Reckless - with disregard or abandon, more likely to cause a wreck

priceless.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Wreckless Eric made some nice tunes, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSjwl8lHEVE
I've got an album by him and also his autobiography. Because of Wreckless Eric I've always been in the assumption 'wreckless' was the right spelling!
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

New words are created all the time, as well as new meanings for existing words. I returned to the States in the mid-'90s after a few years away and was hyperdiscombobulated upon hearing "issues" used to mean, basically, "problems," and people talking about breaching a topic as "going there."

I think you can easily add suffixes and prefixes to words in sensible ways without spell checkers recognizing all the possible results.

While I am on a Mac and am still waiting to play the game, I can picture the flavor text: "Since having sailed from the light house in your small craft, you have encountered no sea monsters or shoals and are so far wreckless."
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Interesting how? What exactly are you trying to say? :?
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

As far as I know, BasiliskWrangler is happy with all posts regarding spelling and grammar mistakes, as with all other errors posted, however small they are.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Excellent. :) I'm thrilled actually that BW said he wants all errors logged no matter how small. Companies I've worked for tend to get really annoyed by bugs logged that have that little impact on the quality of the product. I'm so impressed he cares that much. Let's keep logging them; we're like a tag team. We shall find them all! :mrgreen:
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

A "minor" spelling error (or more precisely - missing words).
manual, end of page 2 :
" Left Ctrl - For Macintosh users with single-button mouse, holding down
Left-CRTL while clicking mouse will simulate a"

The page ends with an "a" without farther explanation what this button combo will simulate (right mouse click).
Also there is an error in the capital "CRTL" ... it should be "CTRL".