Spelling and grammar

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
MrEntity
Initiate

Spelling and grammar

Post by MrEntity »

Been playing Book II for a while now and I must say that my only major complaint is that the poor sentence structure and grammatical mistakes have made me want to do very serious damage to whoever wrote the text.

Please, please, please hire an actual editor for Book III. If necessary, I will do it for free just to save myself from all the little pauses in my reading when I come across an error - they hurt my brain.

Aside from that the game is thoroughly enjoyable. Kudos proffered.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Spelling and grammar

Post by CrazyBernie »

Take it easy, sunshine. It's one thing to offer help with grammatical corrections; there's no need to wrap such offers with condescending insults.

Play nice.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I really tried to stay away from this one...but there is one thing to bring up errors(which will get fixed) then there is another to act all high and mighty...not needed and pretty useless.
Apoteos
Steward

Post by Apoteos »

well, when the subject of spelling is up, I just thougt I would mention a few spelling errors in the Book II players Manual.

When describing the skill Foraging (page 13), it says "...will have a slowed hunger and thirst bars..." which seems a bit odd...

When describing the skill Repair (page 14), it says "them" when there should probably be "the".

When describing the skill Cleaving Weapons (page 15), it says "it´s" when there probably should be "its"

When describing Armor Rating (page 17), it says "received" when there should probably be "receive".

When describing the interaction with your character (page 22), it says "Interacting with the your character" when there should probably be something else :wink:

Additionaly, the manual states that the skill Light armor makes for more effective use of chainmail. I haven´t played through the game yet, but my experience so far tells me that chainmail pieces requires the skill Heavy Armor. Feel free to correct me if I´m wrong.

Of coure I also have to mention the beautiful "increasingly less" you can enjoy in the section where Hide in Shadow is described :D

I would like to mention that I am aware of the pettiness of these remarks and assure all readers that I am well aware of the fact that I make spelling mistakes myself. The only reason for my post is the fact that if I made a game so awesome that I could do a sequel to it, I wouldn´t like the manual to contain spelling and grammar errors.

I hope you understand, but should you not, I pray you will not let me suffer at the hands of goblins in Vela but instead show me mercy and end me as quickly as you did with that pre-patched, world-shattering magician in Blackwater :wink:
The gift of life is so divine
But without death
Life would soon decline
Apoteos
Steward

Post by Apoteos »

Double post!

Am I a bad person or what? :twisted:
But without death
Life would soon decline
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It is wonderful that everyone wants to point out typos and grammar errors, but we need to keep these reports organized, and in the support forum.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Apoteos
Steward

Post by Apoteos »

Oh sorry, I thougt I was in the support forum when writing. I guess staying up working until the sun goes up again is a bad idea when it comes to concentration. So once again, sorry for that.
But without death
Life would soon decline
MrEntity
Initiate

Post by MrEntity »

You people have odd ideas of what constitutes condescension and arrogance.

When the first sentence I read in the actual game was "You have awoke" I had to stop and rub my eyes. I don't remember the second sentence, but I do recall there being a grammatical issue therein. "Your lock-pick has broke" also comes up a lot near the start.

These are grade 3 grammar errors and they bother me. I'm not going to pat people on the head and say "Good effort, but here's the correct way to do things." I am going to say "Wow... Seriously? Did anyone actually look this over? I will fix it if you want, but you need English lessons."

There is a degree of acidity involved, but that is standard to my speech. This is why I am not a teacher. I lack patience.

The game is amazing. The fact that these niggardly little mistakes devalue the experience is unfortunate.
AgentTBC
Initiate

Post by AgentTBC »

The fact that these niggardly little mistakes devalue the experience is unfortunate.
You're misusing the word niggardly here. "Petty" would be better. Had to do it, what with this being the grammar flame thread.

But, yeah, "You have awoke" was not the best imaginable start. I also cringed.
Apoteos
Steward

Post by Apoteos »

Ha ha, I didn´t even notice the "you have awoke"-part. I was too busy being awed by the music and the fact that I was playing the sequel to one of my favorite games :D
But without death
Life would soon decline
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I think europenas are going to find more grammer mistakes then us north americans due to the fact that the majority has it as a second language and learned the grammer rules, where we in north america tend to bastardize it a bit and take short cuts...
iamrichard
Steward

Post by iamrichard »

Rune_74 wrote:I think europenas are going to find more grammer mistakes then us north americans due to the fact that the majority has it as a second language and learned the grammer rules, where we in north america tend to bastardize it a bit and take short cuts...

You are most likely right about that. I have to say (as an european) i just correct them on the "fly" so to speak. The grammar is not 'that' bad. On the otherhand, the game is great, so i dont even notice it anymore.
The grass is greener at my neighbour.
Ladez
Apprentice

Post by Ladez »

Last edited by Ladez on May 10th, 2013, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEntity
Initiate

Post by MrEntity »

Yeah, I know I used niggardly incorrectly. As a defense I put forward both that I was drunk at the time, and that I like to try to use the word whenever possible so I can laugh when people accuse me of being racist. I do retroactively realize that I stretched the meaning.

For the record, I am from North America; I am Canadian and English is my first language. Most of my knowledge of English grammar is subconscious, but when I'm not sure I do check things. When I come across errors in novels I pencil in corrections - they really get to me. I can't help noticing them.

And I've lost my train of thought so I'm going to return to my original point: BW should really get an editor to look over the text for Book III. Excellence should not suffer under scrutiny.
Sajen
Apprentice

Post by Sajen »

There are a ton of spelling errors. It is too bad, because sure, I can ignore them the first few times, but when they keep popping up constantly then it does tend to leave a bad impression.

I think it is a great game, but I don't see why a simple spell checker wasn't used to check the text, it would have taken care of a lot of the errors.

Like the most recent one I came across - "wreckless" instead of "reckless".

I could have been taking a list of all of them since the beginning but its not something I want to spend the time doing.

Anyhow, no question the game needs some serious work in the editing department.